1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Spain: guidance sought on recognition of UK quals

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by srjp, Oct 1, 2020.

  1. srjp

    srjp New commenter


    I've learnt a bit from the existing topics on this but would anyone be willing to clearly layout the procedure for getting PGCEs + QTS recognised in Spain at the moment? Typically, what Spanish guidance I can find is 'limited'.

    My partner and I lived and worked (TEFL) in Spain before returning to the UK to do PGCEs last year. She is now doing her NQT induction but as I'm in further study, I'd like to take the opportunity of having spare time to bet the ball rolling on recognising our PGCEs & QTS in the Spanish system.

    Also, I understand that as we have CELTA + experience that they're likely to award the right to teach English in addition to our QTS subjects, is that correct?

    Clearly we have Spanish credentials such as foreigner numbers so can skip those formalities.

    Many thanks
  2. tb9605

    tb9605 Established commenter

    Well, if you want to work in Concertado schools, you need to do the homoglacion of your UK qualifications. Details on where to do that and how here:
    Looks like you have to do it in Madrid at the Ministry of Science and Innovation. From my reading of this, I don't think the CELTA would be considered as a qualification that had a Spanish equivalent, but I could be wrong.

    You do NOT need to do this to work in an international school here in Spain: they will accept UK qualifications as they are.

    You will need to do it to work in state schools... but you'll also have to pass the oposiciones as well, for which you will need a pretty decent level of Spanish (C1) and probably serious coaching. State schools do pay more though, so if you are serious about being in Spain longterm it might be worth it.

    Don't count on the fact that you already have NIEs and seguridad social numbers as meaning you can skip the formalities. The Brexit withdrawl agreement means you only retain the right to work and reside in Spain "if you are resident in Spain at the end of the transition period". https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-spain
    So that fact that you lived here before won't count for anything.

    Buena suerte.
  3. srjp

    srjp New commenter

    Good evening,

    Thanks for the link but clearly there's no chance of doing it in Madrid with a pandemic and all that on top! The options I know of are online via NARIC or there was mention on another thread of doing it via the embassy in London. I just hope someone who has done it from the UK it will see this and share a few tips.

    Understood it's not necessary for international schools, but I fancy maybe a bit of that job security you get with a state job! Brexit isn't an issue for working rights as I have an EU passport thankfully. I do wonder if it will impact on the recognition of a UK PGCE though, hence wanting to get this started before year end - even if we run out of time before completing it, it's my experience that the Spanish normally see things through so long as your start them in time.

    Oposiciones would be the plan, yes, but I understand we need to do the recognition first. I was told repeatedly by Spanish teachers of English that if we take them as teachers of English, then the exams are entirely in English, so pretty easy if still true.

    CELTA and our exp would just be an added bonus of they'll consider it, I don't want to make this thread about that really. However, I spoke to Cambridge in Spain last year and paste their reply below. We decided PGCEs would be better globally anyway so never tried what they suggest.

    "Unfortunately there is no equivalence between CELTA and the Spanish education system. There is a not clear match between both classifications. However you can still try to submit CELTA through the MECD on-line portal for “homologaciones”. It’s worth trying.

    Below is the current national offer to Masters for teachers and their requirements.
    Perhaps UNED would accept your degree + your English proficiency + CELTA. CELTA is mostly used for the private sector but they may see it as a valid pedagogical reinforcement to your current degree:

    The Spanish regulations are not easy to understand but I found the following text on https://www.boe.es/diario_boe/txt.php?id=BOE-A-2008-19174
    It basically says that you can use your previous and demonstrated teaching experience to prove the necessary “formación pedagógica y didáctica” and possibly bypass the Masters."
  4. docHolliday

    docHolliday New commenter

    I wish I could help here but my experience is probably mostly out of date. I went through the process of 'recognition' of my PGCE and QTS when European law guaranteed that UK qualifications should be accepted throughout the EU. Now the route will be 'homologación' which is what is required of non EU qualifications.

    I now secondary teach in a 'concertado' school having previously been in a private school. I have never tried sitting 'oposiciones'.

    One thing to look out for is that in those regions with local languages like Catalan or Valencian you will need to have a high level of competence in those languages even if you only wish to teach English, usually a C1 qualification.

    If you are in the UK, the Spanish government does have 'Consejerias de Educación' in London and one or two other locations. The one in London, which is by the Spanish school in the Notting Hill area, was where I was able to hand in my application as well as get some good advice.

    I did need to send certified copies and oficial translations of a number of documents including my certificates, transcripts and a letter confirming my QTS. The translations need to be done by a Spanish 'traductor jurado'.

    Good luck with it all. I enjoy teaching in Spain despite the low pay.
  5. srjp

    srjp New commenter

    Thank you, that's a useful tip about the Consejería de Educación, perhaps that's what I understood from another poster to be the embassy but I'll follow that up.

    I'm perhaps optimistic that as the UK hasn't completely left the EU yet we can go for recognition - I had no idea this was a different concept to homologacion though as when importing a car they only seemed to use homologacion for everything.

    May I ask, did they explicitly ask for proof of NQT induction or was PGCE + QTS enough? I've seen some discussion that says they only recognise PGCE as a Masters if you add in the year of NQT, and of course some that say they opposite...

    Many thanks
  6. shakes1616

    shakes1616 Established commenter

    A pgce isnt a Masters.
  7. srjp

    srjp New commenter

    How is that remotely helpful? You don't seem to understand that Spanish teachers are required to have a Masters, and, as we all know the PGCE isn't a Masters, I've read that they only accept a PGCE + QTS as the equivalent of a Masters if you have the additional year of NQT induction.
  8. shakes1616

    shakes1616 Established commenter

    I bet they are not. Otherwise no one with a BA + PGCE from the UK would be able to work at an international school. I bet there are lots of teachers in SPain with just a BA and pgce
  9. docHolliday

    docHolliday New commenter

Share This Page