1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spain and paid leave for teachers

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by nyenyedzi, Jun 30, 2017.

1. nyenyedzi

nyenyedzi New commenter

I haven't been teaching in Barcelona long and I'm still getting to grips with all the legal stuff.

I just discovered that my school does not pay for leave, even for public holidays. They say it is included in my hourly rate which is then distributed across the year so that I get a set amount every month. Surely though I should be paid a proportion of the legal holiday/leave days over and above pay for hours worked? It all seems very complicated here!

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Dodgy schools in Spain....i dont believe it !!!! o_O

Welcome to the club of 1000's of teachers that have been stung by the truly terrible schools in Spain. I nearly quit teaching because of my experience. Its no wonder Spain is infamous on the international circuit for the "quality" of its schools.

Sorry i cant help, but you do have my sympathy.

3. nyenyedzi

nyenyedzi New commenter

Haha - and this is a well-established well-regarded group of schools! It's shocking.

4. dumbbells66

Doesnt sound like it from what you have described. Sorry to hear they have screwed you over.

5. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

Look in the phone book for UGT or Comisiones Obreras and call them. I strongly suspect that what they're doing is illegal, but I'm not a lawyer. The unions have lawyers on tap...

jomaimai and nyenyedzi like this.
  6. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Are you saying that you are being paid less than the amount you were quoted at contract signing or that you're getting paid what your contract says but expect more?

In terms of how schools calculate your pay, I generally just leave it to the financial team. As long as I'm getting paid the amount in my contract, then I'm fine with it.

7. nyenyedzi

nyenyedzi New commenter

I'm getting paid less than my contract, but that's a separate issue, and another thing I am upset about!

It's not that I want to be paid more, I think that I thought that the paid leave would be calculated along with the hours worked, and I'm shocked to find out it's not. I would leave it to the financial team, but after they made an unacceptable error with my hours, I don't frankly trust them anymore, so now I'm looking further into the legality of it.

I think the worst thing is that they dress it up as being "the best thing for the teacher"!

8. nyenyedzi

nyenyedzi New commenter

I'm definitely unionising myself after this!

jomaimai likes this.
  9. dumbbells66

Just get out of Spain as soon as you can. There are soooooooooooooooo many better places to work.

Good luck with it all.

10. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

9 members of staff leaving the same school in Spain and its regarded as one of the top schools and the most well known in the area. There are not good schools and the ones that are around, are difficult to find.

Best to get out like many of us. They will tell you that everything is in the interst of the teachers. Its not

11. nyenyedzi

nyenyedzi New commenter

yeah. I've lived and worked in many countries and have come to Barcelona to be near family so I really just need to understand the local working conditions and get to know what is and isn't acceptable.

12. miketribe

I've been a member of FEUSO for the past 20-odd years and it does give a sense of security to know that, if the worse comes to the worse, the union's lawyers will be there to back you up.

Having said all that, I still feel the need to defend my country and its schools a little. No school is perfect and, yes, there are many in Spain that mistreat their teachers, and others who, while not actually mistreating them just don't seem to offer them the respect they deserve as professionals. However, if you're lucky, as I have been, there ARE good schools you can find here... And it's a great country to live and work in if you AREin a good school.

nyenyedzi likes this.
  13. dumbbells66

The words "finding a neddle in a haystack" spring to mind.

The OP thought he was in a "good" school, and they still screwed him over.

14. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I really don't get why you're rocking the boat OP. It seems like you've got an axe to grind with admin and so are looking to report them for infractions that don't directly affect you.

Be very careful. Teachers rarely, if ever, come out of such situations on top.

There seem to be zero potential personal benefits to you persuing this and countless pitfalls.

We'd all like to be working for absolute, by the book schools but they don't exist. There is ALWAYS something untoward going on somewhere in the building. Shadow companies set up for tax reasons, agreements with banks, restructuring for tax purposes etc etc. Unless you're personally getting screwed by them, it's part and parcel of international teaching.

15. nyenyedzi

nyenyedzi New commenter

No you've misunderstood me. Firstly these infractions do affect me directly. I don't at all have an axe to grind - I was a manager before I came here and I understand how these things work. But I don't think you just accept problems because "that's the way it is." Actually all I wanted was to know the legality so that the next time I sign a contract I know what to look out for.

And "rocking the boat" - so it's better just to shut up and take what you're given? Nothing ever got changed that way!

16. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

I like the country and its people and would have liked to live here forever. However, a teacher is not seen as a professional by the employers and the wealthy parents.

The conditions in fairly bad in most schools and I am yet to see a teacher come out as the winner in any case. Its best to go through schools that use expensive agencies and yiu will see that they value you enough to pay €5k just to employ you.

17. dumbbells66

Spain is a great country to live in, fantastic food, people, culture. Its just such a shame that 99% of its schools are so damn terrible. Not only are they bad, but they pay so little, but yet they can always get people to come and work there because they are chasing the dream of the wounderful lifestyle.....its a pity so many people have that dream smashed each year.

18. miketribe

All I can say is that I know a lot of teachers here in Madrid who haven't had the awful experiences you had, dumbbells. Sure, there ARE a lot of bad schools here, but it's not that difficult to identify them with a bit of effort.

Again, truthseeker, I have seen quite a few teachers come out on top in disputes, especially if they has union support. The judges are notorious for being dangerous lefties who find for the workers in 85% of the cases that come up. Employers really prefer not to go there!

19. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

I don't quite understand your objection. In the UK teachers work 1265 hours of directed time per year. That's what we're paid for, but spread equally over the 12 months so we don't have to worry about imbalanced income. Is that not the same as the situation you are describing? As teachers get more leave than the statutory minimum numbers of days (in both Spain and the UK), why would you expect to get paid extra for days you don't work?

Sure, teachers do the highest amount of unpaid overtime of any profession, but that's another issue...

20. nyenyedzi

nyenyedzi New commenter

Because paid leave is the law? I might get more enforced leave here in Spain but if I'm not being paid for the legal minimum of leave (which promotes healthy teachers with healthy minds and life balance) then I need to work. It gets spread out yet, but even more thinly than it is already. I get paid less than a call centre worker with fewer contributions to my social security.

Anyway, all I wanted to know was whether it is legal not to pay teachers for a proportion of their 30 legal days of paid leave a year.