1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SPaG marks in Science

Discussion in 'Science' started by gumgamble, Dec 12, 2019.

1. gumgamble

gumgamble New commenter

Hi everyone,

I wanted to confirm something -

Students aren't given marks for SPaG anymore apart from one markers? Am I correct in thinking they would only need to spell something correctly if they were asked something direct like name the hormones involved in regulating blood glucose levels?

We have been asked for information about how many marks in a GCSE exam is awarded for SPaG so am I correct in thinking we don't know until we get the exam?

Thanks

2. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

I thought that it now only applies to longer answer questions. But SPAG is much more than just spelling.

install likes this.
  3. gumgamble

gumgamble New commenter

I agree but I couldn’t find anything in the AQA 9-1 mark schemes about punctuation and grammar. Perhaps I wasn’t looking hard enough.

4. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Established commenter

The only spelling issue students need to be aware of are words that have similar spellings but very different meanings e.g. glycogen v glucagon.

If their answer could be interpreted either way e.g. glycogon then they will not get any credit

5. AQA_Science_Lab

AQA_Science_Lab New commenter

Hello,

As ScienceGuy has said, we would pay particular attention to spelling where there are similar terms in science that require precision so that you know which one the student is using. Otherwise we don't specifically assess spelling, punctuation or grammar.

Some other examples where we would expect correct spellings are mitosis & meiosis, and quadrat & quadrant.

We try to apply benefit of doubt when reading responses, but it's in the student's interest to be as clear as possible for the examiner!

Kind regards

AQA Science

gumgamble likes this.
  6. gumgamble

gumgamble New commenter

Thanks so much everyone for your replies. Much appreciated