1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Spag 2016-an alert for Year 6 teachers!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tandemtinker, Jul 26, 2015.

1. tandemtinker

tandemtinker New commenter

On viewing the Government's sample Spag test for next year, I can foresee a considerable drop in the percentage of level 5 pupils!.....along with several new framework knowledge requirements, several former level 6 domains are now in the level 3-5 paper! Granted, this year's Spag test was comparatively easy, hence the high proportion of 5s, but this is just an alert for Year 6 teachers to re-focus, and, if you're like me, consult the experts in grammar! Incidentally, Q35 on the sample paper takes some understanding! ( I thought mangoes ONLY grow in hot countries!!)......I've also got to re-visit semi-colons and commas, to say nothing of the "progressive past"!!

2. zugthebug

zugthebug New commenter

There is no level 3-5 or 6 from now, merely a standardised score in a single test so the higher level questions must be included. All the grammar you mention have been flagged in the new NC. Y6 expectations, like all the other year groups, is tougher. If SPaG was a surprise I would look at the maths tests too, including the arithmetic standard method expectation

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

There isn't a level 3-5 or level 6 paper in 2016

4. tandemtinker

How right you two members are! Of course . no levels from now on!!! I was so shell-shocked (note hyphen. or is it a dash??) by the content of the sample test that panic took over! apologies to all......the sentiment is the same, notably that a different approach will have to taken to Spag this coming year! Incidentally, I have a number of EAL pupils in my class next year and to expect them to attempt the Spag test because they lived in England for over 2 years is daunting!....they are still coming to grips with basic English, written and spoken!!

5. Msz

why?

6. tandemtinker

For the past 2 years, in Y6, the two classes have introduced grammar as part and parcel of the Literacy hour, and incorporating it with the teaching of writing.....our spag results haven't been spectacular! However, I feel the time has come to do discrete grammar, cramming-type lessons, where the children complete cloze procedures and masses of practice papers! ( ie going back 30 years or so to text book lessons of the 70's and 80's!!)

7. Msz

Why are you only introducing grammar in Y6?

8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

My immediate question too?

This needs to be embedded much earlier on.

9. tandemtinker

Yes, I agree, grammar has to be on-going throughout the school, and I'm sure it is being studied, but I'm afraid in Year 6 we tend to be so focused on the SATs that we tend to be oblivious to other, year groups, and they to us! Not the ideal by any means, but the reality I'm afraid!

10. Msz

Y6 should be a whole school focus and Y6 teacher should know what's come before.

Y2 will have a SPAG test (well 3 tests) next year school needs to be prepared

11. damsonite

damsonite New commenter

And so the goalposts move again! We had a record number of L5 this year, but that's not good enough. I'm concerned by some of the questions though.

I've just looked through the Grammar appendix guidance and it states that some terminology will be used by teachers, but children do not need to know them. The specific terminology that the children will need to know has been listed.

Terminology for children

Y1: letter, capital letter word, singular, plural sentence punctuation, full stop, question mark, exclamation mark

Y2: noun, noun phrase statement, question, exclamation, command compound, suffix adjective, adverb, verb tense (past, present) apostrophe, comma

Y3: preposition, conjunction, word family, prefix, clause, subordinate clause direct speech, consonant, consonant letter, vowel, vowel letter, inverted commas (or ?speech marks?)

Y4: determiner, pronoun, possessive pronoun, adverbial

Y5: modal verb, relative pronoun, relative clause, parenthesis, bracket, dash, cohesion, ambiguity

Y6: subject, object active, passive, synonym, antonym, ellipsis, hyphen, colon, semi-colon, bullet points

It doesn't mention "past progressive" - only as a teaching point in Y1 - children do not need to know that term.

If that was the first question, the children would be confused right from the start! :-(

12. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

The appendix still says all terms in bold should be understood. Progressive forms of verbs are in y2. We are just learning everything in the appendix. As y6 teacher I know the children will have gaps so I am going back over everything.

13. ScienceBootCamp

ScienceBootCamp New commenter

If there is no level 6, does that mean the extended writing task is no more?

14. iccle_jen

iccle_jen New commenter

As a year 6 teacher, I would be very concerned if I was having to cram past papers etc because of a lack of teaching lower down the school. The appendix for grammar is so explicit that it MUST be taught. If it isn't, your literacy co-ordinator isn't doing a very good with their monitoring.

I do disagree with the person who says that they don't need to know the term "past progressive" and so on. Looking at the sample paper, I do think they need to know the vast majority of the terms.

I've been teaching about determiners all week and to be honest, kids have grasped it very quickly and can identify them in their description about New York (we're reading King Kong) - I can honestly say I haven't crammed it into them! A lower achieving child today explained it very clearly to her Mum (who promptly looked at her with an open mouthed stare and said she didn't know that and she was doing a degree!)