1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Space mtps ideas for literacy science and history

Discussion in 'Primary' started by kym131218, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Hello I hope you are all enjoying your holidays. In my school we do a thematic curriculum and our theme for thus term is space.... However, I am stumped for ideas on literacy, history and science. We are relating literacy with fantasy and mystery writing, science with light and shadows and materials and properties, and history with.... I don't have a clue. I am just asking really if anyone has ideas fur eachvof this subjects or whether anyone has a really good plan that had a good out come that I could look over. Any drop or ideas would be brilliant.
    Thank you
    Kym

2. Hello I hope you are all enjoying your holidays. In my school we do a thematic curriculum and our theme for thus term is space.... However, I am stumped for ideas on literacy, history and science. We are relating literacy with fantasy and mystery writing, science with light and shadows and materials and properties, and history with.... I don't have a clue. I am just asking really if anyone has ideas fur eachvof this subjects or whether anyone has a really good plan that had a good out come that I could look over. Any drop or ideas would be brilliant.
    Thank you
    Kym

3. comenius

comenius New commenter

I have some planning in the resources section 'Destination Outer Space'. If you click on my name it should take you to it!

4. Surely the topic of 'earth, the sun & the moon' is a better science topic for space? This topic lends itself to lots of work in all areas of the curriculum. For Literacy, we looked at newspaper articles from the original moon landing, watched the original footage and watched interviews with the astronauts. We then hotseated pretending we were Neil Armstrong, Buzz Auldrin or Mike Collins, wrote diary entries on how they would be feeling and our final piece was a newspaper article as if the shuttle had just launched. With the last space shuttle going up so recently and so much footage and news reports on it, surely that would lend itself far, far better than fantasy and mystery writing. There are lots of astronauts on Twitter, if you find the right one you may even be able to get some questions answered from the children.However, if you have to stick to fantasy and mystery, find some stories based on people going into space/being in space - there's got to be a fair few. In fact, you could start with non-fiction, then get the children to write stories about going into space and having an adventure. Maybe they find something mysterious on the moon that leads them to something.
    In maths I used the original moon landing video and told the children that they needed to do some investigative work and plot a line graph to show distance travelled against time. Can't remember exactly, but I do remember it worked very well!
    Just a few ideas to get your creative juices flowing! :)

5. Hi yeah we are doing earth space and moon as well as shadows. Thanks defiantly got juices flowing. I was thinking of doing your ideas for literacy but get the children to create there own out if space image using a camera and active primary to change colours of it. It could be an event of the school through an aliens eyes. Oops I'm excited now.
    Thank you both your fab ideas x

6. No problem, hope it helps. LOVE the topic of Space, its so much fun and great to get the kids engaged!