1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

space maps

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bex2606, Aug 3, 2011.

1. I am planning a space themed unit for my year 1 class in the second half of the autumn term. I have looked at some lovely planning on here that is useful and both refer to making 'space maps'. Sorry to be a bit thick but can anyone explain to me what a space map is?
    While I'm on here, if anyone has any great ideas for this topic that would be great.

2. Any ideas?

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

A space map is generally a map showing the positions of the planets and stars, often in relation to the sun.

An accurate one might be beyond year 1 though.

4. There's a nice resource on Primary resources call Mission to Mars. It's set for year 5 but the ideas could maybe be used for year 1 ie deciding what to take on a mission / trip in space rocket and why. Finding out about where you are going and creating a group poster on your mission. We are doing Space - The Final Frontier in September too (with Y5). We're going to build, with the children's help, a space rocket in the book corner, big enough for the pupils to write in / role play etc. Another thing we do is a space walk. You walk around the grounds trailling toilet role behind you, demonstrating distances between planets - could be adapted?!