1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Space-age silver stuff to put behind radiators

Discussion in 'Personal' started by gorgybaby, Jan 22, 2011.

1. I have been watching selly telly again and am tempted by Nasa (apparently) developed silver material which fits behind radiators. They have a natty little fititng, two prongy things which just hang it behind, rather than one having to use masking tape which I remember seeing in the past. My house is pretty well insulate, cavity wall new windows etc. What do you think? Is it only worth it for outside walls, or not worth it at all?

2. I have been watching selly telly again and am tempted by Nasa (apparently) developed silver material which fits behind radiators. They have a natty little fititng, two prongy things which just hang it behind, rather than one having to use masking tape which I remember seeing in the past. My house is pretty well insulate, cavity wall new windows etc. What do you think? Is it only worth it for outside walls, or not worth it at all?

3. Use tin foil and save yourself a shed load of silly money.

4. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

NASA fits radiators?

5. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Tin foil (as CQ said), cheaper and does the same job. Although the space age thingies are probably easier to fit.

6. Thanks. I am such a sucker.

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Next time you decorate, pull the radiator off its mount and stick common or garden tinfoil behind it with either wallpaper glue or good old Pritt. Until you decorate just slide it down the back. I've also stuck some on the back of a settee that backs onto the radiator so more of the heat goes upwards, but that's just me being a tightwad.