1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Soya milk as a substitute for cows milk in recipes

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by jo_south_yorks, May 3, 2012.

1. My boyfriend cant drink cows milk (really unsettles his stomach and causes many loo trips for hours afterwards), and so drinks soya milk instead. He can eat cheese, butter and chocolate etc but just not milk.(He thinks he is lactose intolerant but I don't think that is the case because of him being able to eat everything else).
    Was wondering if soya milk can be used in recipes where it asks for cows milk - simple stuff likemaking a white sauce for lasagne, or angel delight mixes, or dare i say it those packet sauces!
    Lasagne used to be my fail safe meal but now I can't make it as he wouldnt eat it.

2. My boyfriend cant drink cows milk (really unsettles his stomach and causes many loo trips for hours afterwards), and so drinks soya milk instead. He can eat cheese, butter and chocolate etc but just not milk.(He thinks he is lactose intolerant but I don't think that is the case because of him being able to eat everything else).
    Was wondering if soya milk can be used in recipes where it asks for cows milk - simple stuff likemaking a white sauce for lasagne, or angel delight mixes, or dare i say it those packet sauces!
    Lasagne used to be my fail safe meal but now I can't make it as he wouldnt eat it.

3. The packet sauces may have milk proteins added so using soya milk won't make any difference.
    Old style soya milk used to curdle in tea. It doesn't do that any more but I'd still be wary of using it in cooking.
    What about lactose-free milk instead?

4. I thought they were practically the same thing![​IMG]
    Naive quesition - Is the lactose free milk cows milk with lactose removed? And so would act in the same way in recipes?

5. If you're intolerant to lactose then you'll be able to tell the difference.
    I've never used it in cooking, though. You'd need to read the label.
    Soya milk has a different taste and this would affect the recipe. I can't see the nutty flavour going well with lasagne.

6. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

I may be wrong but isn't goats milk and cheese lactose free, they would work in sauces

7. Goat's milk is lactose-free but it also has a strong flavour.
    Depends on the recipe, I suppose.

8. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Cheese is mostly lactose-free. The fermentation process gets rid of most the lactose which is extracted with the whey. Any maturation gets rid of the rest.
    The exception obviously being very soft, unmatured cheeses such as cottage cheese. Which is minging anyway so who cares?
    Most lactose intolerant people can eat cheese and certainly hard cheese; lots of people are unaware of this fact!

9. Including me!
    Will see if I can get some lacto free milk when I next go shopping then and see what he thinks to that. He doesn't mind drinking soya milk on its own (to use up before it goes off) which is why we buy it, but if I can use the lactofree stuff in cooking then that would make more sense.
    THanks everyone :)

10. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Have you been speaking to my Y10s?

11. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

All milk has lactose in it. Lactose is the sugar found in milk, including human breast milk.
    You need lactose free milk and he will be fine. Sounds like a genuine lactose intollerance to me. Soya milk is yuk!

12. BelleDuJour

No.
    See above post.

13. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

No need EG, I'm well down wiv da kids, innit.

14. Goat's milk has lactose in it?
    I didn't know that. I've never tried it myself but I was going by the other thread, in which Bethannie reckons she can tolerate goats milk and goats cheese.
    My own particular allergy is ice cream. I get a genuine allergic reaction and am sick the next day. I've always thought this is to do with an additive in the ice cream rather than lactose intolerance.
    Any theories?

15. BelleDuJour

Lactose intollerance is a condition casued by an individual lacking the enzymes needed to digest lactose. We all have these enzymes as infants, but they stop being made around weaning when milk (the only natural dietary source of lactose) stops being part of the normal diet. Many caucasians have a mutation that allows us to continue producing these enzymes into adult life. So, those of us who are not intollerant are the unusual ones.............it just seems the other way round as the mutation is more common in caucasians and very rare in afro-carribean and asian races.
    If lactose is undigested it passes into the small intestine, where it causes water to move out of the gut lining and into the gut contents, causing cramps and diarrhoea [​IMG]. Most unpleasant.
    This is why cats and dogs can be ill on milk and why you should not put a saucer of milk and bread out for hedgehogs!
    Some proteins in cow's milk can be allergens (and proteins are true allergens, not intolerances) and the proteins are different in cow's milk and goat's milk, hence some people can have goat's milk.
    In cheese and yoghurt the lactose is fermented and the proteins altered, hence tolleration of these foods is different.

16. Confusing, isn't it?
    I'm certain the ice-cream thing is a reaction to something other than lactose, as I'm ok with artisan ice cream.

17. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Yes, there is a lot of lactose present in ice cream, so it would be something else. Commercial ice cream bears little relation to proper ice cream, so it might be one of the chemical additives that are often present.
    Just to clarify, and I'm sure you know this, but you mention an allergic reaction to ice cream. An allergy is entirely different to an intolerance. If you don't have a reaction with proper ice cream or other dairy producs then it's not lactose but possibly an allergy to something else in the cheap stuff.

18. It isn't the really cheap stuff that makes me ill - I don't eat that kind of thing. Its Haagen Dazs or Ben and Jerrys.
    I'd love to know what causes it.

19. I'm another intolerant who eats any dairy other than the milk. I
    found that out years ago and was promptly told that I couldn't be lctose
    intolerant (oh yes I am!).
    I use cream or low fat yoghurt to replace most milk, let it down with water if necessary. Far less protein and lactose in them (the 2 aspects that cause most problems).

I use this list to help me decide - see how bad milk powder is!
    link to list

20. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I can't drink milk as it is not even in coffee, but I can have it cooked or use cream,cheese, yoghourt etc.