1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SOW - Outsiders

Discussion in 'English' started by starby, May 18, 2011.

1. I'm working on a scheme for Year 8 on the theme of Outsiders.
    The first two weeks of the scheme focus on homelessness looking at extracts from Stone Cold, posters from Shelter and homelessness and the law as well as focuses on other non-fiction materials.
    I was thinking of focusing on bullying as well with students presenting an anti-bullying speech and/or designing an advice leaflet.
    I'm stuck for inspiration for what else I can do. Any ideas about other extracts or ideas that link in well with this theme?

2. I'm working on a scheme for Year 8 on the theme of Outsiders.
    The first two weeks of the scheme focus on homelessness looking at extracts from Stone Cold, posters from Shelter and homelessness and the law as well as focuses on other non-fiction materials.
    I was thinking of focusing on bullying as well with students presenting an anti-bullying speech and/or designing an advice leaflet.
    I'm stuck for inspiration for what else I can do. Any ideas about other extracts or ideas that link in well with this theme?

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Duffy's 'Stealing'? Or extract from 'The Curious Incident ...'.

4. Joannanna

Joannanna New commenter

Just thinking along the topic of Outsiders, and how people can be 'outsiders'

Race? Othello/Noughts and Crosses. (I only say Othello cause we base our A2 coursework around male outsiders!)

Boy in the Striped Pyjamas? You have all the imagery of the barriers.

I'm trying to think of some film based texts you could use to include some media and failing

5. The Loner

by Julie Holder

He leans against the playground wall,

Smacks his hands against the bricks

And other boredom-beating tricks,

Traces patterns with his feet.

Scuffs to make the tarmac squeak,

Back against the wall he stays

And never plays.

The playground’s quick with life,

The beat is strong.

Through sharp as a knife

Strife doesn’t last long.

There is shouting, laughter, song,

And a place at the wall

For who won’t belong.

We pass him running, skipping, walking,
    In slow huddled groups, low talking.

Each in our familiar clique

We pass him by and never speak,

His loneliness is his shell and shield

And neither he nor we will yield.

He wasn’t there at the wall today,

Someone said he’d moved away

To another school and place

And on the wall where he used to lean

Someone had chalked ‘watch this space’.
    (Nelson have a Pupil
    Book that links this poem on the idea of 'Bullying'
    http://content.yudu.com/Library/A1ez3m/PlotterTest/resources/29.htm)

<h2>The Hunchback In The Park</h2>

<pre>The Outsiders by SE Hinton..? [/QUOTE]<pre(Pearson have an online Teacher's booklet for text with suggested activities if you google title)
    [/QUOTE]

6. sweetie1

sweetie1 New commenter

How about using an extract from My Left Foot when Christy Brown writes the letter A. An outsider in a big, close family.
    Back in the Playground Blues by Adrian Mitchell is a poem which looks at the long term effects of bullying.

7. montyjacs

montyjacs New commenter

Have a look at the APP ready scheme of work in the tes resource bank called "Children on the Outside". It has a really good range of texts and activities. I tried to find a link to post but I'm blowed if I can find it at the moment but I promise it's there somewhere.
    best wishes

8. A huge thank you for all of the suggestions. I'm working on creating resources now I have some inspiration!