1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SoW Help!!

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by eforde11, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Hey,

I have just moved over from Ireland to work in a small school. I am the only DT teacher and I am teaching years 7 to 11.
    I am still trying to get to grips with the curriculum and I need to hand in schemes of work by the end of term.

The school only has facilities for woodwork so I have to teach the rest as theory!!!

Any help with schemes would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Look on resources. I have a Mini Projects Y7 SoW for RM (wood & plastic), Y8 Acrylic Jewellery (CAD/Laser cutter). Theres also a Y7 L2C Food SoW and I'm sure others have contributed more x

3. Hi
    Just because you only have woodworking facilities don't rule out other materials. There are always graphic based projects (posters and packaging - gluing and sticking!) / structures (get them to design and model their ideal play area) / wirework (masks, mechanisms) etc and many things can be designed and made with simple to get stuff that won;t cost the earth and need no special equipment. Do you have an arty-type teacher in your school - don't forget to ask them (nicely [​IMG]

4. Apologies - I misread your message and thought you were primary teacher (it's past my bedtime!) - still the offer stands if you'd like to get in touch [​IMG]

5. I dont have any SOW for primary, but interesting projects could be mask making utilising say preform moulds which you can get in. Rocket cars go down well using the TEP rocket launcher. Musical instruments, but approach it from the making side and dont just make shakers, look at coconut style thumb pianos. A simple torch project with either an LED or normal bulb. Bridges and structures can easily be made from straws etc.
    I realise this does not quite solve the pre written SOW but at least i read that you were primary.