1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

South of Spain, bullying at work ?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by volvere, Oct 17, 2017.

1. nollaig

nollaig New commenter

For all those following the culebron that is the saintly place it looks as though the 7 staff have their court cases against unfair dismissal coming up with the first cases due to be heard in late November. The school it appears had hoped like many cases, that they would just go away. What is happening is that staff within the school are the ones leaving. It is rumoured the ICT teacher has just left for a school with lower pay just to get his sanity back. The place is crawling with consultants that no one knows and now we hear that the British Council have agreed to come in and to carry out an inspection in the next couple of months. What sort of jurisdiction do the British Council have in cases like this where a so called British school seems to be operating on a rogue basis.. Can they intervene in any way ?

2. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

I noticed a few vacancies here posted this week, i think ICT was one of them.

Those acqaintances I have who've worked at the BC school complain of unfair treatment and worse so I'm not sure you can hope for the BC to uphold justice here.

3. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

I vividly recall an occasion on which the British Council sided firmly with the oppressors rather than the victim.

Boris Johnson's latest bilz-up also reminds me that most of the British embassies I have encountered have not seemed to take much interest in British expatriates. I can, however, think of an interesting exception: The British mission here in Spain has given us quite solid support over the the past few years.

4. makhnovite

makhnovite Occasional commenter

The British Council and the embassies have been 'for profit' organisations since the Thatcher years and have no real authority or any interest in helping expats or Britsh citizens abroad. Add to that the incompetence of Bojo and you have a recipe for disaster. Its a rich and rewarding life abroad as many others on here will testify but in legal terms you are on your own!

5. malagawolf

malagawolf New commenter

Rumour has it that further developments have occured today in the saintly school, with the primary head being asked to leave immediately today...2 weeks before her intended leaving date.
    Is it too late for the staff to turn this once great school, around?? I hope not and I am sure there will be a lot of celebrating tonight. Great news.

6. nollaig

nollaig New commenter

absolute madness reigns, a toxic presence defenestrated, another resignation from another long term member of staff, unknown faces stalking the corridors with no information about who they are or what they are up to. Rumoured inspections around the corner. Lessons deemed insufficient without being told the criteria on which the judgements were made. The puppet prince cancelled his photo appointment at no notice, so distant bells start ringing, another one packing his bags as these keys get padded. The last on the minds of these orchestrating this bedlam is the patients, a for profit only enterprise. After all the money spent on the packaging and marketing there is nothing left for the product inside... hollowed out