1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

South Korea - South

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by mrjack, Oct 11, 2019 at 8:52 PM.

1. mrjack

mrjack Occasional commenter

Anyone ever taught there?

2. rosiecg

rosiecg Occasional commenter

Lots of people I expect

3. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

Yes, and the good things are high pay, free accommodation, great medical and safe with nice people (generally).

Downside for me at least, language barrier as Korean is relatively hard to learn, small number of expats and the food is very one dimensional compared to the rest of Asia. If you like sugar in your fries or garlic bread then maybe you will like Korean food more.

As for teaching, Korean students are not great learners, they equate working all night as learning and can be rather poor at accepting new ways of learning. They think UK has only four unis. Oxford's Cambridge, Imperial and UCL. Anything else isn't a proper uni it seems and beneath them. Most are nice students ' except the older ones from entitled families who think they are above scummy western teachers, they can be rather rude. Generally lacking in "go getting spirit" as Koreans are like the British, a nation of bookkeepers at heart. Not entrepreneurs like Americans and most of the rest of Asia.

I would overall recommend it above the Middle East, for example.

yasf likes this.
  4. mrjack

mrjack Occasional commenter

Thanks, Nemo, very helpful, I think it is pretty much a true International School though there will I'm sure be some Korean's there. Very helpful response.