1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

South African book

Discussion in 'Book club' started by jonowen, Jan 21, 2009.

1. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Can you help? I read a book years ago about a (UK I think) journalist, who darkened his skin in order to live as a black South African, to see the kind of unjust life black South Africans had to endure in the 70s/80s. I'd really like to read this again but can't remember the title or the author - can anyone help me to find it again?

Thanks.

Jo

2. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

No, cant help, sorry.
    But I did find "The Life and Times of Michael K" by JM Coetzee (sp)a very moving book that was set in a south african township.
    You could try it instead.

3. jonowen

Thank you!

4. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Lead commenter

There's 'Honorary White' by E R Braithwaite of 'To Sir With Love' fame.

Braithwaite travels to South Africa and, as a West Indian, is is awarded the status of 'honorary white' as were Chinese people and many other nationalities.

I can't recall the exact details but I think he's going there as part of a delegation and he visits the townships.

A total inversion of the white 'blacking up' but Braithwaite recounts his experiences of staying in 'white only' hotels and gaining access along with his fellow white delegates to meetings and policy-making forums.

5. jonowen

Thank you STCoop, that is exactly the book I meant and I've ordered it on Amazon today.
    Can't believe I was asking about this 2 years ago, that's a bit scarey!

[​IMG]