1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

sous vide

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by nizebaby, Jun 25, 2019.

1. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Had sous vide poussin at a restaurant today. Absolutely tasteless.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  2. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

I agree - it's fashion over taste.

I hope they said it was sous vide so you knew what you were getting. Not suggesting you didn't know!

3. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

What a weird and dissipated day. Nizeman wa fuming because the food was so bad, at a restaurant we've been going to for years, So, in the evening, we went for snacks [spanakopita and meatballs] a few bdoors away at our local wonderful greek cypriot place and then on to wine and a chat with the owner of our local Sezchuan/hubei restaurant round the corner. He and his wife had been our intended guests at our lunch restaurant but, fortunately for them, we'd all messed up on the date so they didn't come.. Drank an awful lot of wine and sat in the street,

4. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I'm glad the day improved after your disappointing lunch.

5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I thought the bubble had burst for sous vide some time ago and people realised it wasn't this amazing thing. It can be done well, I think, but it's often not. With something like a thick steak it can be nice, as long as the meat is then caramelised properly in butter or something afterwards. The texture can be really good. But I don't think it's necessarily good enough to justify all the faff. A steak cooked really well, conventionally, is just as good if not better. Sous vide fish is totally wrong though. The texture is just weird. Flabby and off-putting.

I still like the idea of very slow cooking for large joint of meat in the oven though. A leg of lamb, cooked perfectly rare at 80°C for three hours or whatever.

6. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I agree. I have had the famous duck breast with duck fat chips at the Hand and Flowers (Tom Kerridge). The duck breast would have been much nicer fried then finished in the oven. The chips were lovely!

7. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I understand the attraction for restaurants. It's a guarantee of consistency - the meat can all be cooked, uniformly to the desired internal temperature, and then just finished off on the grill/pan just before serving. It takes more skill to cook a piece of meat conventionally. Fine if you're just cooking a couple of steaks but if you've got order after order coming in, there are definitely advantages to sous vide. You can buy sous vide kits for home use though. I don't see the point in that at all.

8. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I went for a haircut today and told my hairdresser about last night's disappointing meal. She's a real denizen of our neighbourhood and cuts the food critic Fay Maschler's hair. Apparently, Mrs Maschler told her that she thought instagram was having a bad effect on restaurant food because chefs were thinking more about how instagrammable their dishes were than about how they tasted. It was an eye-opener for me.

Now, I like food I've paid a lot for to be well-presented as well as tasting delicious. But putting gold leaf over an entirely yellow plate of food is a vulgar abomination. Food p0rn go away!

9. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

That's interesting. I can see how Instagram could be influencing this. Instagram is now a huge source of advertising, whether by the restaurant itself or by people tagging their own photos. I must admit I like to instagram food pics, whether my own or restaurant.

I think aspects of presentation have improved slightly, recently. You seem to get fewer of the tiny blobs and smears, and arranging everything in a tower seems to have become less of a thing. Also gels and spheres seem to appear less. Good for it as well, as texturally they're a bit odd.

I like food well presented, rather than just slopped up, but it should never be at the expense of flavour and seasoning. The two aren't mutually exclusive in the hands of a good cook!