1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sourcing Dry Ice

Discussion in 'Science' started by Smortime, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Hi all,

Where do you get your dry ice from? I've heard of people getting it free, from hospitals I think?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Sam

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

It is very difficult stuff to get these days, I have tried. Plus with all the H&S those that do still use it are reticent about giving it out as they may become liable if the person using it has an accident with it.

Do you need big lumps? You can blast a CO2 fire extinguisher into a cloth and that will give you some powder.

Not doing cloud chambers by any chance?

3. Fizzbobble

Fizzbobble Occasional commenter

Do NOT do that with a fire extinguisher.

Dry ice is easy to get and very safe to use, when handled with care. Try the company Chillistick; ten kilos costs about fifty quid, and it'll last quite a while.

www.chillistick.com/.../dry-ice-pellets-in-pack-sizes.html

I don't work for them! I'm a physics teacher who has bought from them before.

4. msuxg

msuxg New commenter

Universities may give/sell you a small amount.

The CLEAPSS handbook has some information on how to produce your own using a carbon dioxide cylinder and attachment.

5. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Years ago, we used to have a black, velvety material bag, made for the purpose by Griffin and George, into which we piped carbon dioxide from a cylinder, to make dry ice. it made reasonably-size lumps, as well as a frosting you had to scrape off the inside of the bag. As Fizzbobble said, I think the gas would come out of a fire extinguisher too quickly.

6. Fizzbobble

Fizzbobble Occasional commenter

The rate of the gas isn't my major concern! It's a criminal offence to use a fire extinguisher for any purpose other than fighting a fire!

7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

What even a decommisioned or spare one? Ask the schoolcaretaker he will have a few stashed away in a cupboard.