1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Source of Money....

Discussion in 'Science' started by TeacherBiology, May 4, 2012.

1. TeacherBiology

TeacherBiology New commenter

Hi all,

I took on head of department in September but unfortunately inherited some very poor quality microscopes. I was wondering if anyone had any sources of funding or grants in order to try to replace them.

Many thanks in advance

2. TeacherBiology

TeacherBiology New commenter

Hi all,

I took on head of department in September but unfortunately inherited some very poor quality microscopes. I was wondering if anyone had any sources of funding or grants in order to try to replace them.

Many thanks in advance

3. Sorry I can't help much. Are you sure that microscopes are your priority?

4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I can't think why there should be any way to get microscopes for cheap or free. When we started A level biology a few years ago we had a session (me and fellow teacher) where we cannibalised what we had and ended up with a smaller number of much better quality microscopes which didn't solve the problem but certainly helped.

5. What exactly is wrong with your microscopes, and what do you need to do with them that you are unable to at the moment?
    BTW there are some great CD/DVD and online resouces (such as virtual microscopes) which can be used to supplement your teaching if you just need more magnification or better focus.

6. Georginalouise

Georginalouise New commenter

It's a long shot but try asking your local pathology laboratory if they have any lurking in cupboards that need a new home. Histology microscopes are often mothballed when new technology is needed and the laboratories sometimes offer them up abroad without considering schools in the UK may be in dire need. Try asking for 'spares' too.