1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sounding out words - any advice?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by t4me, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Hi
    I am hoping that Debbie or some SP expert will be able to help.
    My rec children have done really well this year and most will be moving into KS1 with good blending and segmenting skills, some of them reading and writing quite independently.
    There are a couple (young ones) who, although able to blend 'all-through-the-word', sound out most words in their reading book, making their reading sound slow and laboured.
    Am I right in thinking that this is just a stage in the learning to decode process, and that reading will become more fluent with time and practice? Is there anything else I could do to help?I am concerned that the Y1 teacher will move them swiftly on to Ginn (look and say/guess) and Storyworld (controlled vocab - high % high frequency words), in the belief that what they are reading is too hard. (We have all had SP training!!) My feeling is that this is going to totally confuse them, and they won't know which strategy to use.
    Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Hi
    I am hoping that Debbie or some SP expert will be able to help.
    My rec children have done really well this year and most will be moving into KS1 with good blending and segmenting skills, some of them reading and writing quite independently.
    There are a couple (young ones) who, although able to blend 'all-through-the-word', sound out most words in their reading book, making their reading sound slow and laboured.
    Am I right in thinking that this is just a stage in the learning to decode process, and that reading will become more fluent with time and practice? Is there anything else I could do to help?I am concerned that the Y1 teacher will move them swiftly on to Ginn (look and say/guess) and Storyworld (controlled vocab - high % high frequency words), in the belief that what they are reading is too hard. (We have all had SP training!!) My feeling is that this is going to totally confuse them, and they won't know which strategy to use.
    Thanks for any suggestions.

3. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

I think most children move away quickly from sounding out known words at as natural part of their reading development. Some take a little longer, but they do get there eventually. I had a boy this week for example, who knew by sight the name Sam in a book because we have a child with that name in class - and even though he sounded out all the other CVC words, he didn't need to sound out the 2 letter words - so I figure he is getting there! There must be a processing "thing" that takes longer with some children. I too have a concern about children moving into KS1. Out school uses Salford and most of the children don't register a reading age at all so they will generally be put on pink books and our library stock is a right mixed bag, despite me banging on about decodable books.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

some children just need you to say ... you've just read that word can you remember?
    or ... if you know that word you can say it without saying the sounds ...