1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sound - roleplay area ... Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by debz08, Apr 21, 2011.

1. The role play is Sounds where the roleplay area needs to be a recording booth. Does anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks

2. polly2

polly2 New commenter

Hmm, obviously you can put instruments in there, but you could also put materials in there to allow the children to experiment with making sounds - scratchy sandpaper, crinkly plastic etc. Could you have a recorder in there for them to record their own sounds? Have you got any of those books where the children can record their own story and draw pictures to match? Perhaps the children could try to make up their own sequence of sounds using a variety of equipment. I once had a game called sound lotto - the children listened to the sounds and placed a counter on the picture of the sound they thought they could hear. Sorry if this doesn't make sense!

3. Aww thats great, thanks so much for your help.
    I dont have any books at the moment that children can record from. What books are you talking about? .

4. polly2

polly2 New commenter

In one school I worked in we had audio books, they were black bound leather and had plastic wallets inside. The children could draw pictures/write stories and slot them inside the plastic wallets and press a button on the book to record themselves speaking. These could be wiped over easily and of course the paper could be taken out.

5. Thats great thanks.
    I'll look into that. :).

6. comenius

comenius New commenter

Do you have a spare computer or laptop you could put in there with some headphones and a microphone?
    There's free music making software here that you can download
    http://www.inclusive.co.uk/downloads - scroll down to 'Music games' In the free play section the children can choose an instrument e.g. piano, guitar, keyboard and make up their own tunes. They can also record it and play it back.
    There's recording tins etc that you can buy here from TTS
    http://www.tts-group.co.uk/shops/tts/Range.aspx?search=recording

7. char2505

char2505 New commenter

Not sure fits in with recording studio but I've done pairs of covered pots with different items inside (eg lentils, marbles) and children have to match pairs by shaking and matching sounds. Maybe you could have posters of 'recording artists' they like?