1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SOUL DESTROYING INTERVIEW PROCESS

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by tavypilgrim, May 14, 2011.

1. tavypilgrim

tavypilgrim New commenter

I feel exactly the same as the original poster. I also am completely disheartened by the whole process. I also qualified 2 yeas ago and have only managed to complete 1 term of my NQT year. As a result my supply allowance ran out and I have already had one 6 month extension. I have spent a small fortune travelling to schools for visits, missing out on supply work in the process. The interviews I have had have always commended the strength of my application, my first couple of interviews were a bit shaky but have now massively improved. But even so I worry that it is in vain as all of the jobs I get interviews for seem to have a predetermined result. At my last interview there was an internal candidate. That was disheartening but I still felt I had a chance. But after briefly scanning the walls in the headteachers office(panel interview at end of 5 part interview day) I noticed a list of staffing arrangements for 2011/2012. The internal candidates name was already assigned to the class I was applying for. I honestly felt that I gave an exceptional interview, the best I have ever given. All 5 parts of my interview day went as perfectly as I could have hoped for. My gripe is that I put many many hours of my life into preparing, lost supply work and spent petrol getting to the interview 35miles away... and they never had any intention of appointing anyone but the person who had already been working there for 2 years!! Why bother putting me through all that hell, I honestly felt like yelling at the headteacher when he phoned to tell me I was unsuccessful. Apparently although all elements of my interview were exceptional, another candidate(the successful internal one) 'just seemed to be a better fit for the school', no kidding when they've already been successfully working there for 2 bloody years!

2. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

If it's any consolation (probably not!) we have ALL been there, trust me.
    I'm trying to move into middle management and have had three (unsuccesful) interviews and there is no getting around the fact that it is just awful. The process itself is exhausting, draining and as such very upsetting indeed when rejection is at the end of it. The truth is that no matter how much we are told it's a good experience I'm not sure that is the case as rejections just make people feel disillusioned and so confidence takes a nose dive - never conducive to future success!
    I think things you can do to minimise the "soul destroying" element of interviews are:
    • Prepare your mind and body in advance for the fact that it will be a gruelling, exhausting and tough day, whether or not you are successful at the end. Waiting for the door to the staffroom, or wherever you are, to open and your future fate to be announced, is in itself nerve wracking and stressful and takes its toll.
    • Brace yourself for bad news. I don't mean have a negative attitude but just mentally prepare yourself for "we have offered (other candidate) the post." Accept you will feel utterly horrible for a while but that the wound will heal soon.
    • Keep it quiet. I personally only tell the people who need to know when I have an interview as I hate the flurries of texts from (well meaning) people who you then have to bravely say "Well, not this time!"
    And some tips for the day! These are just my views and may not help but I hope they will [​IMG]
    • Try to drive to the school first - there's nothing quite like not being sure where you're going to add to a general sense of panic.
    • Most interviews have an informal talk with the Head before the day's schedule starts. Try to remember a few things he or she says and refer back to them if appropriate when being interviewed.
    • Interview lessons are extremely stressful. If you're giving out handouts/worksheets, gather them together first and bind each pack together with paper clips to minimise the rushing about the room element of the lesson!
    • I think there are several scenarios with interview lessons people dread - the class that misbehave being one! - if someone misbehaves, say firmly that that isn't the standard of behaviour you feel is acceptable. Don't ignore it and hope the observer's won't have noticed! The class who won't talk and sit there sullenly are in some ways harder as you beam enthusiastically and try to convey your passion for the subject as Dwayne from y9 doodles on his lovingly prepared worksheet. Just try to keep the pace going, use questioning techniques to involve kids, if appropriate, point out that what you are doing is important because ...
    • Wear a watch, not all classrooms have clocks.
    • Take a book or magazine with you - it will soothe you when waiting for the final decision. Also have a drink and snack for this moment.
    • Think carefully about your strengths and what you could offer the school and ensure you get it into the interview.
    I hope some of that helps.

3. That's really great advice!

I'm in a similar position to the OP and other posters. I have been teaching for nearly three years and only completed 1.5 terms of my NQT. I thought I was the only one! Am somewhat relieved to find there are others in my position (although disappointed to hear your stories...).

I seem to be successful in interviews, but only land short-term work. My only advice to you is to try to relax and be yourself (easier said than done, I know) which will allow your personality to come through, and to ask lots of relevant questions (prepare some in advance).

4. mmm...Milk

mmm...Milk New commenter

I have had 10 interviews in the last 2 years. If you go onto unemployed teachers forum you will see my thoughts on the last interview I had. All the research etc is great but so often you know from the moment you meet the other candidates who will get the job. I am totally disheartened and agree with many of the points the person from sales said. I am not meak enough to be molded even though I am an NQT I am a mature one with supply and life experiance.

5. bobbycatrules

bobbycatrules New commenter

Ironically my headteacher today told me I was too meek and that she won't be interviewing me for the permanent post next week. I'm good enough for the temp post though for the past term. She also said my CV looked rubbish as I had had several temp contracts over the past three years. Seriously thinking about a career change.

6. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

Thanks for the tips above, really helpful thanks.
    I am a PGCE trainee, have had two interviews so far and agree that they are the most draining, soul destroying days and being told you haven't got the job at the end of the day is the worst feeling in the world.
    I have my third interview coming up and have received a schedule to say that there are 7 candidates! No cut is planned after the lessons either. Talk about the heat being on but maybe it is a good sign that there isn't an internal candidate? My last two interviews had 4 candidates.
    Dreading the next interview but am mentally preparing myself that I will not get the job so I won't be disappointed! But worried now about getting a job for September as there is nothing else for me to apply for in my subject at the moment and worried nothing will come up now.

7. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Wow, 7! They will have had loads of applicants so well done for getting through to the final round.
    Please don't worry - as a trainee teacher you will have the pick of the flurry that come in after the May 31 deadline.
    What subject are you? x

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I agree with this to a point. But then maybe think about how you knew that. What was it about the way the dressed, moved, spoke, behaved that gave you that impression and make that you next time round. Try to make yourself the person that others look at and think 'I have no hope against them'.

And yes this is totally a 'do as I say and not as I do' kind of post!

9. I feel like I'm in a vicious cycle with no way og getting out. I've been lucky(er), I got a long term supply work in my 1st year of teaching. The same sch asked me to cover a maternity for my 2nd yr of teaching, so I've almost completed my NQT year. I too have had a soul destroying interview this year, what makes it worse is that I would have LOVED to work in that school.

So I'll be going into supply to show that I'm still teaching when I apply for jobs. But the schools will wonder why has this person not been able to secure a permanent position. Supply teaching can be used against you [​IMG]

10. bobbycatrules

bobbycatrules New commenter

Absolutely, and although supply can be much harder than working in a permanent position, it's seen as 'you must be **** at your job if that's what you do'.

Crookshanks, do you mean that you had an interview at the school where you had been covering for two years? I have been covering for a term at my school and they won't even be giving me an interview for the permanent post next week.

11. I mean that when applying for jobs and when they recieve something like 50 applications per vacancy, they may not shortlist you as they will prefer those who have permanent positions and think why is it that this person has been on supply for X amount of years.

Don't want to put a downer on supply teaching, I got my current fixed term position by doing supply in the same school. I've applied for a job that is being externally advertised in the current school I work. Now I really will be demoralised if I don't get shortlisted for this one!