1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SOS, URGENT.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by chocolatebox9, Jan 18, 2011.

1. She certainly is trying to save money for her friend.
    Lots and lots of it.
    Having googled this house sitting lark, I'm tempted too but not by this. I'd love to head to the vineyards or chateaux where I'd get paid to do the house sitting, plus free food and travel.

2. You're dead right I'm trying to save money for my friend and here's why.
    Her husband went back to England to visit a friend, but forgot to mention that the, " friend" was female and that he'd also cleaned out all their bank accounts. She only discovered this when she went to the cash dispenser last week and the machine relieved her of her card.
    Her husband is not coming back. Although they have email contact, (when he chooses to respond) she doesn't know were he is in England.
    Now, France is for the French. Our qualifications are unrecognised in France,and the only thing she can do to protect her animals and support herself is to get back to England for three months to generate some income to start again.
    I don't want this to turn into a, "what she should do debate".
    **** happens, and she's dealing with it.
    If you're not interested in the deal, fair enough, if you are, or know someone who might be, then email please.

3. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Firstfiddle, I'm in France and I remembered seeing something about this sort of thing on the news a few months ago. I googled the idea and came across ilidor.com, a ' home-sitting' service based in France which uses pensioners to look after home and animals? You don't pay the " home-sitters " ( the term used, google this for more info ) but the company charges you a fee of 60 € to put you in touch with suitable couples ( refunded if no one found )
    Hope this helps, I'd be in a similar situation to your friend if something happened to my OH ( no income of my own here ) so I fully empathise. Good luck with your search !

4. Landaise, you are a complete star...thank you. We'll give it a go.
    FF

5. Sounds lovely, but I couldn't afford to live for three months without some sort of income, even rent-free.
    I really hope your friend finds someone, after reading the background story. It's the kind of thing a relative would probably do, but obviously this isn't the case with your friend.

6. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

In the oven...

7. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I'd love to do it.....................................

....................just so long as I could get a sitter for 3 months for my 3 dogs, 3 cats, 3 horses and 2 chickens! [​IMG]

8. bizent

bizent Lead commenter

i'll do it Belle!! lol

9. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Hmmm......my hubby might not appreciate waking up next to you Biz [​IMG]

10. bizent

bizent Lead commenter

I don't see why not??!!! [​IMG]

11. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Sorry to hear about your friend's predicament. It may be of no use to her but an organisation was set up recently to support spouses abandoned in france - it seems to be that common. They are called WAIFS:

www.waifs2010.wordpress.com

12. Your friend has had bad luck but she's asking a stranger to give up their life and work for free for three months in order to bail her out. That's one hell of a favour. You need to be realistic and acknowledge the type of person who will do it for free will be looking to set up a cannabis farm or drug den and she won't have much of a home to come back to.
    A person who registered with the house-sitting agency would earn £3000 for the same work, plus food and expenses. Even the French agency says you have to treat the sitter like a guest and they only thing they pay for is their travel. So your friend would have to pay for food and she would have to pay someone else to muck out the animals. They also say they won't take on the property unless its attractive enough. Looking at the houses with pools on their site, I'm tempted to register myself!

13. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

Alternatively, a retired person might relish the opportunities on offer, both culturally and spiritually. What a cynical appraisal of the situation! I think the OP just needs to find a more suitable forum to post this request on: a forum for retired French teachers for example. I'd be there like a rocket!
    Were I retired and on a pension, I would find the prospect of a three month stay in rural France most enticing. The thought of the solitude, the walks, the birdsong, the regular lunches of fresh baguette, goats cheese and jambon de bayonne and a glass or two of claret - right up my street. I'd be quite happy to do a bit of pet-sitting along he way.
    The issue is that the majority of posters on here, are, like me, wage slaves - unable to carve out their own destiny at the moment. Somewhere there is a forum where some goodly, retired and solvent francophiles would be only too happy to help out. It is just a question of locating it...
    Good luck to the OP and their friend!

14. ...and yet surprisingly chocolatebox9, she's had 29 responses, so clearly not everyone is motivated by money.
    All the people who've responded are keen to stay in a comfortable, warm, welcoming house, (with swimming pool) surrounded by countryside, in a lovely and interesting part of France,and with no bills to pay. Not really much of a favour is it?
    As for the cannabis farm and drug den, she will be taking references, and we, her friends, will be checking her property and animals for her regularly.
    Thanks to those who've been so helpful and supportive.

15. Its not cynical to say that anyone considering this type of work will know about agencies and know that it is paid. The type of people who are interested in daily physical work for no money are the type who wouldn't pass an agency's reference checks.
    Even your 'goodly' pensioners will have bills to pay at home whether they're there or not. I don't know how many people these days could afford to buy their jambon de bayonne out of their own pocket and keep up with the bills at home!

16. Its one hell of a favour and one hell of a cheek.
    It might be an idea to be smug at the end of the three months when the house is still standing rather than before the person has even moved in!

17. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

You may not know them personally but I don't doubt that they exist.

18. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

Actually, if you aren't paying extra rent or utilities, it shouldn't cost you any more than normal to live in someone else's house- just keep your DDs going to cover the monthly bills at home, and buy your food abroad. Simples.
    I'd do it, but I'm about to give birth and be up to my eyes in nappies. And if that weren't the case I'd have to be at work. As Smoothnewt said, someone whose income doesn't depend on work (eg pensioners) could quite easily do this job and if it's what firstfiddle has outlined, it doesn't actually sound very arduous at all. Walking three dogs is no more work than walking one; all you're committed to is actually being at the house in order to care for the animals at the appropriate times.
    Anyway, good luck to the OP's friend. I hope she can resolve both situations to some sort of satisfactory conclusion.

19. You will be paying for a house you aren't living in, as well as your food (which you'd be buying anyway) and travel (which you wouldn't). You'll also be mucking out a horse and hens, walking dogs, collecting eggs, shutting the hens in every night, and feeding all the animals, every day.
    You aren't exactly up on the deal.
    'Simples'.

20. inky

inky Lead commenter

This is a very seductive offer but one that would take a special person to suit. I suppose we all know one or two suitable candidates.