1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SOS re: controlled coursework

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by smoothnewt, Feb 16, 2011.

1. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

If they are aiming for C grades, why not get them to aim for 200 words per essay? 300 is a tall order for the weaker ones and I imagine the stronger candidates (A and A*) will be aiming for this amount. I am assuming that the number of words required for the higher tier is the same across the boards (we do wjec).

2. OCR is 600 words over two written pieces, which they are finding very hard.

3. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

Wjec is 400- 600 words over 2 pieces to be able to access A* - C grades.
    Maybe think about changing boards for next time around?

4. I am starting to think we are really with the wrong board!

5. henriette

henriette New commenter

we break the "essay" down into 20 sentences and use flash cards to learn/remember each sentence - those flashcards then form their prompt sheet (Edexcel)

6. henriette

henriette New commenter

Edexcel also want 600 over 2 poieces for Higher grades : who wants fewer?

7. I like this idea, Henriette, but it is still a Hell of a lot to remember.

8. Edexcel want 200 words per piece for A*-C grades

9. Hello
    We follow Edexcel and our students are told to focus on quality rather that quantity. Not many of them go over 220 words but their work contains extended sentences,opinions,a range of tenses, is well structured, accurate and nice to read.
    Can I advise you to look at this:
    http://community.edexcel.com/modern_languages/f/22/t/3359.aspx
    I hope this helps.

10. Thank you for your replies. A lot to think about, but Edexcel looks good.

11. AQA also asks for 200 words for each piece (2 pieces).

12. Linguo24

Linguo24 New commenter

I'm sure I read somewhere that, with OCR, candidates should write between 350 words and 600 words across the two pieces in order to be able to access the higher grades (C to A*). So, as long as a pupil writes an average of at least 175 words per piece, they are able to get at least a C.

13. Linguo24

Linguo24 New commenter

I've just located the actual wording on the OCR website re written controlled assessments: 'Candidates aiming for grades G-D should write UP TO 350 words ACROSS THE TWO PIECES, candidates aiming for grades C-A* should write UP TO 600 words across the two pieces.' So, as long as a candidate writes 351 words (ie about 175 per piece) or more across the two pieces they are able to access at least a C grade.