1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SOS - Instilling love for TL Literature

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by pascuam49, Dec 2, 2016.

1. pascuam49

pascuam49 New commenter

I wonder if someone can give me some advice. We are the delivering the Spanish CIE syllabus in a school in China (all our students are Chinese EAL learners). Literature is not required at AS but they need to read three texts in A2. IGCSE students are scared of English Literature already and by the time our Spanish students get to AS, many opt out just because they don't want to do literature the following year. I was thinking I could introduce them to Spanish literature in AS to help them bridge the gap, either by creating/using "fun" resources or by exploiting easier texts. Has anyone been in a similar situation? Do you know of any poems or short stories that I could use? In case it helps, A2 are doing La Casa de Bernarda Alba, Como Agua para Chocolate and Eva Luna this year. Thanks a lot in advance.

2. spellmaster

spellmaster New commenter

Have you looked at the Olly Richards - Spanish Short Stories for Beginners series?
    There's a good few volumes and the stories are, as it states, fairly unconventional.

They are also available for French, German Russian etc

3. pascuam49

pascuam49 New commenter

Thanks Spellmaster, I will check out that series. We have some Spanish readers in the library and this year we have introduced one book review a semester as a homework assignment for our Year 11. My idea for AS was to explore authentic Spanish literature in class, something more similar to what they have to do at A2, only shorter/easier sessions. My problem is that I have not taught literature before and the A2 literature teacher is struggling to come up with ideas.