1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SOS. Help needed with signal booster for new TVs

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Spanakopita, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

In a panic about the changeover, I bought 2 new TVs that are somehow plugged into the outdoor aerial. But the picture on them breaks up and sometimes it is impossible to get ITV or BBC. I have been told I need a 'signal booster'. I have looked on Amazon for signal boosters but haven't got the first notion of what kind I need. Anyone out there able to help, please? I'd be very grateful.

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

However, looking at the link, I see the one you want is out of stock so get the 4 way signal booster.

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Thanks very much, lapin. There is a Maplin's near me I see on the site you have given me. I still don't understand what I need to buy but I will go into the shop tomorrow and explain my problem and hope they will be able to help.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Thanks again. Crossed posts. I'm a slow typist!

7. kareneliot

kareneliot Occasional commenter

Have you just switched to digital/freeview? Are you sure you need a booster rather than a new/better aerial?

8. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

a basic subscription to cable or skymightsolve your problems easier. I assume you have just bought new dital tvs otherwise you wil need free view/////////or sky/virgin

9. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I wish you were nearer, nutella.
    My mum had a similar problem and all sorts of suggestions were made but she needed a new arial and a slight adjustment in the direction in which it was pointed. I bet you've lost more than two channels too as they tend to be in 'bundles'.
    As oldsome has said you need either a digital tv or a freeview box...

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Snap. That's where my money is...

11. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I have freeview. I also have a booster aerial. The picture still breaks up. I was told (by a TV installer/repair man) that this will continue to happen until the changeover as the area in which I live has a very weak reception. When they switch off the analogue signal, however, they will at the same time boost the digital signal. So the picture shouild improve.
    I recently got my free-sat and was amazed at the difference in picture quality.
    (However, with freesat and freeview I now have well over 100 channels...and still can't find anything to watch most nights!...Thankfully Masterchef - The Professionals is back tonight!)

12. oldsomeman

i went through 0ver 200 channls in virgin and still found nothihg to watch as it was one programme on about 5 channels for most if it.........plus all repeats and ive seen most of the programmes i like. I tend to watch only bbc1,2,4 anyway....with a few on channel 4 and non on five as i dont usually watch films........unles its sy fi or fantesy.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

There is an aerial on the roof which is supposed to work for the 2 downstairs TVs and we also have Sky on my son's TV; Sky has a round black thingy outside. You wouldn't think it would be so complicated. Why do they keep changing things? I only gave up my black and white telly a couple of years ago. I will have to get someone in to sort it out. I am so fed up with having to get things sorted out!

14. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

That's why I wish you lived closer, nutella - he-who-fixes-stuff sorted out mum's tv problem no bother, for the price of a new digital aerial (£24 I think). She'd already spent money on a new booster but had still lost several channels (and was missing her precious CSI) and the picture kept breaking up.
    Apparently new cable is sometimes required too.
    Make sure you check out prices - it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg to replace your aerial. Oh...and you should be entitled to advice free of charge because you're a pensioner...my mum had done that bit already but didn't understand the advice.

15. oldsomeman

If yo have sky in the housw already check if they can take alead off his connection....it shoudnt cost alot and will make it easier for you.you dont have to have all the channels.you just commect up to the sattellite. and maybe have our own box.....which should be a reasonable price

16. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

She sounds just like me!
    Actually I only ever use 4 channels as I don't watch much except the news, Corrie, Holby and Downton and occasional one off series like Joanna Lumley or Mary Portas and the Jury that's starting tonight.
    Thanks for your help, everyone. I'll let you know what transpires.