1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sorting the good, bad and just plain ugly

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by tassiegirl, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Schools that is! Mind you, now that they all ask for photos, possibly the staff too!

Does going through Search Associates to gain an international job mean that you are less likely to encounter the ugly schools?

I understand that much of it is what you make, how well you adapt that not all schools can be first or second tier schools, blah blah blah.

But after following some of the horror stories on here, it does make things slightly daunting when trying to launch your own international career.

Does Search mean you are less likely to get placed with the chaff?

2. ian60

ian60 New commenter

Ugly schools aside, a few years ago I accepted a job in a school in Turkey. My future department got hold of the photo from my CV and stuck it on the dept's staffroom notice board. If they ever needed to chastise a pupil they apparently would point to the photo and say something along the lines of 'Buck up, or HE will be teaching you next year'
    I don't use that particular photo so often now.

3. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

I would say that going through an organization like Search may make it somewhat less likely that you will end up in a truly hellish school. That being said, Search is a business and it seems that they will give dodgy schools the benefit of the doubt in many cases. They have dropped/banned some of the worst offending schools, but I'm fairly certain that their database contains a fair number of schools that you would not wish to work at, if you knew the realities that you would find there as a teacher.

4. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

For example, I notice that my first overseas school in Alex is no longer a Search school (although they were more Mickey Mouse(ish) than hellish). I have no idea if Search dropped them or they could no longer afford Search.

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yes, Search Associates do "blackball" schools from time to time. I heard that from none other than the great Harry Deelman himself. However, the prime reason for their existence is not to serve as some kind of filter, sorting out the scholastic sheep from the educational goats. This is why I would recommend anyone who has more than a passing interest in getting a job in an international school to join the ISR. Yes, some of the reviews are inaccurate and out-of-date. Some of them are spot on and I am not just saying that because I have now written no less than three ISR reviews.