1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sorting out my jewellery box...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by flutterbyplant, Jan 1, 2011.

1. just out of curiosity, why do you need to let go? The past can exist happily with the present, and with or without the jewellery, you take it into your future.
    the jewellery surely can't take up much space anyway....

2. Could you not get a really nice jewellery tree and have it on show on your dressing table if it's not something you're going to wear and you can't face getting it remodelled or passing it on?

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I sold my jewellery for the gold in it and got around £1,500. The stones were returned to me andI may possibly use them one day in another piece.
    I did, however, keep a few sentimental pieces such as earrings my children gave me when little and another pair given to me by my best friend who died. I'd outgrown these pieces but couldn't 'scrap' them.
    This Christmas my son asked for a ring to be designed by me and his dad, to replace his dad's wedding ring that he lost (brecause it was too big!). The ring would have cost almost £400 that was rather too much, so I used my 'sentimental' gold. This not only brought the price right down but also made the ring even more special.

4. What jewellery can possibly have so much gold and diamonds in that:
    monetary value > emotional value?
    I'm sure we're not talking crown jewels here, maybe just a few gewgaws that are worth a bit more than your average memento if you were to flog them.
    I can't see the point of melting stuff down just to get a few quid's worth of gold. The neanderthal has bought me a couple of pieces of spectacularly bad stuff, but I hang on to them. I'm not so desperate for cash or a new bit of swag that I'd melt them down!
    Keep 'em.

5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Whilst I realise this post was not directed at me (I think), the stuff I sold was gold I'd collected over the years but, my style has changed (I'd like to think 'matured'!) and was never worn and just clogged up my jewellery box.
    I didn't sell it for the money, but was shocked at how much it was worth.
    I used the money to put towards one beautiful ring (white gold, diamonds and spessartite garnet) that I wear and enjoy.

6. That's OK - I've flogged a bit of stuff myself that has had no emotional ties. I think it makes sense.