1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sorted/reviewed Science video clips from youTube

Discussion in 'Science' started by MrBrickFish, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Firstly, sorry for posting this for a 3rd time, but previous posts to related threads have had little impact.

In short:-

If you're interested in a growing list of sorted/categorised video clips for KS 3/4/5 science lessons then click below to see our evolving prototype:

http://sciencevideobank.wikispaces.com/

In more detail:-

We are a pair of secondary science PGCE students. Since we hate wheels being re-invented, as our ?further development placement? project we are spending three weeks collecting and sorting YouTube video clips for use in science lessons (KS 3/4/5).

Currently there are three sub-pages: ?Sound?, ?Gravity & Space? and ?Microbes & Disease? which are more or less representative. Access them through the contents page.

The website is a ?wikispace? and the aim is for others to contribute and comment. This will be a permanent resource which grows through small video link contributions from others. In addition we hope the project will be continued and refreshed by future PGCE students. We are also aware that there are many, many teaching resource sites and we?re happy to interlink our contribution to other sites.

How can you help?

1) Take a look at the current sample pages and let us have any feedback

2) Let us have ideas for clips you?d most like to see

3) Contribute a link or two!

4) Spread the word

To contribute a video we ideally need three things:

i) The link to youTube

ii) Where it fits into the curriculum

iii) A short description/comment saying what the video shows and possibly how it might be used

You can contribute links in the number of ways

a) Post them here and we?ll do the rest

b) Email them to (replace ?at? with ?@?and ?dot? with ?.?) sciencevideobank ?at? tnk ?dot? co ?dot? uk

c) Join the Wikispace and edit the page directly yourself (there are some half-finished instructions on the ?How to contribute? page of the site

Many thanks in advance

Sean(Physics) & Miranda(Biology)

2. Firstly, sorry for posting this for a 3rd time, but previous posts to related threads have had little impact.

In short:-

If you're interested in a growing list of sorted/categorised video clips for KS 3/4/5 science lessons then click below to see our evolving prototype:

http://sciencevideobank.wikispaces.com/

In more detail:-

We are a pair of secondary science PGCE students. Since we hate wheels being re-invented, as our ?further development placement? project we are spending three weeks collecting and sorting YouTube video clips for use in science lessons (KS 3/4/5).

Currently there are three sub-pages: ?Sound?, ?Gravity & Space? and ?Microbes & Disease? which are more or less representative. Access them through the contents page.

The website is a ?wikispace? and the aim is for others to contribute and comment. This will be a permanent resource which grows through small video link contributions from others. In addition we hope the project will be continued and refreshed by future PGCE students. We are also aware that there are many, many teaching resource sites and we?re happy to interlink our contribution to other sites.

How can you help?

1) Take a look at the current sample pages and let us have any feedback

2) Let us have ideas for clips you?d most like to see

3) Contribute a link or two!

4) Spread the word

To contribute a video we ideally need three things:

i) The link to youTube

ii) Where it fits into the curriculum

iii) A short description/comment saying what the video shows and possibly how it might be used

You can contribute links in the number of ways

a) Post them here and we?ll do the rest

b) Email them to (replace ?at? with ?@?and ?dot? with ?.?) sciencevideobank ?at? tnk ?dot? co ?dot? uk

c) Join the Wikispace and edit the page directly yourself (there are some half-finished instructions on the ?How to contribute? page of the site

Many thanks in advance

Sean(Physics) & Miranda(Biology)

3. Many thanks! I've put a link in for the site above as a whole. In the fullness of time we'll hopefully work through the individual clips and attach them where they belong in the curriculum.

Cheers

Sean

4. excellent site guys, i downloaded some clips from youtube and tried to convert them using the a-catcher, this seemed to work and they were .wmv files, playing fine on my computer but when i tried them at school it said the files were corrupt :(

5. sci84

sci84 New commenter

Try "Any Video Converter", which seems to work well

6. What a great idea, as a PGCE student I'm always trawling You Tube for fun and interesting clips and wasting a ton of time so it will be so much easier to check your site and get it all in one place. I'd love to contribute too, will get my thinking cap on soon.

7. sharpy1871>

Not sure what to recommend about crashing wmv files... how old are the school PCs? are they running a reasonably modern version of media player?

I would say the fact that the files play ok on your PC and not on the school suggests a problem with the school PCs. There are 101 ways to grab youTube clips and thanks to others who have posted alternative ideas...

miss_singmarbles>

Glad you like the idea.

greathat >

Thanks for the links... I'll look at these and add them shortly... might be next week.... slight end of PGCE flurry of activity here

Cheers Sean