1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sorry, you can't have this maternity post

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by mmm...Milk, Sep 8, 2011.

1. mmm...Milk

mmm...Milk New commenter

You are an NQT, the school has a policy not to take on NQTs for supply.

2. That's confusing! Is it a long-term supply? Would you be covering a class for at least a term?

3. mmm...Milk

mmm...Milk New commenter

Would be covering rest of this term, all of next and possibly all or nearly all of last term. So, they obvioulsly don't want to mess around with induction. I wouldn't expect this term to be included, but if they have me for a full term,then I belive that they would have to do induction.

4. They take an agency monkey and the agency are usually a bit nebulous about the truth, weasel works, etc.

5. Nice use of the word "Nebulous". House point to you.

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If they take on an NQT they have to put them through Induction if the post lasts at least a term's length but they can choose not to employ an NQT and have a post-Induction supply teacher instead.
    They might be paying more but the non-NQT supply will be able to take over the entire ML timetableand they won't have to make other arrangements for the 10% timetable reduction.
    If they have a choice of teachers (and there are loads now without work) I suspect that most schools would operate the same policy.

7. mmm...Milk

mmm...Milk New commenter

I can see the schools point on not wanting to have to do an NQT induction, but it doesn't help me get mine done! Maternity leaves are about the only hope left for NQTs at the moment to get any of thier induction done.

8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I agree but looking at it from the school's point of view, they usually do a burst of NQT Induction at the start of the school year and an NQT starting later, whenever a maternity leave begins, throws a spanner int he works as theywould need to repeat something that they've already done with their main NQT cohort.
    I'd be keeping an eye open for permanent posts that become available during this term. There are always NQTs who decide quite early on that their school or teaching is not for them and they either get an early release from their contract or they resign near the end of the first half term, to leave at 31st december, and unemployed teachers are the only option to fill the post during the term or from 1st January as other teachers, at other schools, will not be able to start at thedrop of a hat as they cannot bew released until Easter, at the earliest.

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The issue is what SLT call 'on costs', ie it's cheaper to employ a non-NQT supply than it is to employ a NQT, because they have to pay for extra supply to cover the 10% induction reduction in the NQT's timetable. With many schools now it's all about money.