1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sorry - Work related question on a Friday night....

Discussion in 'Personal' started by teachenglishrach, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Evening All,

Just after some advice/opinions really and wanted quick answers hence posting in Personal. I'm currently in my NQT year and employed on a one year maternity cover. Two permanent jobs in my area have come up, one of which is at my old secondary school. I am intending to apply but was wondering whether it would be seen as 'odd' (considering I know the school) to ask to go and visit them for a look around? My intention is obviously to look from a teacher's perspective rather than the student's perspective I had before. The Head is still the same person but all the staff in the department I'm applying for have changed and I left there at 16 in 2005 - if any of that makes a difference!

Apologies in advance for the lack of paragraphs, stupid Google Chrome!

Thanks
    Rach x

2. Evening All,

Just after some advice/opinions really and wanted quick answers hence posting in Personal. I'm currently in my NQT year and employed on a one year maternity cover. Two permanent jobs in my area have come up, one of which is at my old secondary school. I am intending to apply but was wondering whether it would be seen as 'odd' (considering I know the school) to ask to go and visit them for a look around? My intention is obviously to look from a teacher's perspective rather than the student's perspective I had before. The Head is still the same person but all the staff in the department I'm applying for have changed and I left there at 16 in 2005 - if any of that makes a difference!

Apologies in advance for the lack of paragraphs, stupid Google Chrome!

Thanks
    Rach x

3. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

No, it wouldn't seem strange at all. A lot will have changed in 6 years.

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

A former pupil was appointed as a teacher last September at my school. Mildly strange for me to have someone on the staff who I used to teach, but not really a problem. They just went through all the normal processes of application and were treated the same as other candidates.
    You are a different person now to the pupil you were and will indeed look at the school through different eyes on a visit.

5. Thanks for both replies - just nice to have some reassurance sometimes!

6. Yes, I agree. It would look worse if you didn't look around before applying as they'd think you were assuming either a) Its the same as it was when you were a student or b) You will get an interview purely based on recognition of your name. Visiting shows you are taking it seriously.

7. Cestrian

Cestrian New commenter

I was a pupil (a looooong time ago!) at the school where I teach - it was strange to go round on interview day as a prospective teacher, but in a nice way. It does make a difference that none of the department you will work in taught you, but I'm sure you would be welcomed by staff who do remember you. Good luck.