1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sorry to post again...

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by lizzii_2008, Dec 8, 2011.

1. lizzii_2008

lizzii_2008 New commenter

I am currently working my way through the LJs and updating the profiles (yes, assessment in nursery). Basically I have 2 children who I know can; count 3 and 6 objects reliably, say number names in order, recognise 1-9, count 10 objects and order numbers 1-10 but this has generally been done through adult led activities. Both children recognise difference between quatities but one can find one more/one less than 5 and also relates addition by combining 2 groups and relates subtraction to taking away - she is working out 3+3, 2+3 and other sums and uses her fingers to often solve this.
    The deputy head briefly suggested that I don't put them high up in the points but I'm really not sure what to do as I do believe they are secure in the areas stated above. I know there has been previous posts about nursery teachers awarding to high and I don't want to appear to be doing that.

2. lizzii_2008

lizzii_2008 New commenter

I am currently working my way through the LJs and updating the profiles (yes, assessment in nursery). Basically I have 2 children who I know can; count 3 and 6 objects reliably, say number names in order, recognise 1-9, count 10 objects and order numbers 1-10 but this has generally been done through adult led activities. Both children recognise difference between quatities but one can find one more/one less than 5 and also relates addition by combining 2 groups and relates subtraction to taking away - she is working out 3+3, 2+3 and other sums and uses her fingers to often solve this.
    The deputy head briefly suggested that I don't put them high up in the points but I'm really not sure what to do as I do believe they are secure in the areas stated above. I know there has been previous posts about nursery teachers awarding to high and I don't want to appear to be doing that.

3. Is your adding up little girl working with signs and solving simple written sums? Perhaps you should check that she will add up in practical situations ie as a self-selected method of solving real problems. It could be that she has learnt to 'do sums', which is good, but without a secure understanding of how that relates to real or play situations. Just a thought.Sometimes there seems to be a problem of interpretation of points which results in reception class teachers finding that, in their view, children have been 'marked up' in nursery. Could you perhaps show your evidence to the reception class teacher and moderate some together? While it's probably wise to be conservative in your judgements it would be unjust to disregard children's achievements.The other aspect is the adult-directed thing. Someone on here suggested setting up a role play school with Maths resources to play with, to encourage children to use number in a play context. That has worked for me in the past, maybe you could try it.

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

Maybe we should set up a cctv camera and mike in the school role-play area so that we can observe at our leisure yet use our real time to play with the children and do a bit of unashamed direct teaching!

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

and playing, of course!