1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sorry, but my magic wand is broken

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by David Getling, May 15, 2018.

1. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Well, the silly season has come again. Just got a request from a mother whose son is struggling at physics, but needs an A* in his mocks. Of course, I told her that as they were just a few weeks away her son had very unrealistic expectations of what tutoring could achieve in that time, and so I was declining her request.
    Why, Oh why do parents and students have such ridiculous expectations? As the film says: you rush a miracle man, you get lousy miracles. Or, in my case, the miracle man won't even see you.

I've also had a lazy boy who is a weak student, but after coming to me for a few weeks decided that he didn't want anymore tutoring until September. His mother has been told that I'm only prepared to help dedicated and conscientious students, so if he doesn't continue until the end of the school year I won't have him back. I get the feeling that the parents know full well that their son is a serious slacker, but aren't prepared to lay down the law.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

You're so seriously unpleasant I'm surprised you have any students.

3. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

Unfortunately the new linear A levels where there are no external exams until the end of the course do seem to be encouraging some students to make less effort in Y12 than the old AS/A2 courses.
    I would take a Y12 student who had completed their mocks back in September if my tuition seemed to be making a difference.
    In my experience very few teachers would give A*s in mocks as this may make some students over confident.