1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sorry another secondary to primary question

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by cb700, Feb 21, 2017.

1. cb700

cb700 New commenter

Hi
    I have taught for 12 years in a secondary teaching Business and ICT and PSHCE. I left my previous position a year and a half ago and have got into doing primary supply. I did a full term last summer and loved it (year 4). I only want part time and applied for a couple of positions but no luck. Will I need to do a conversion course or will my experience be ok? I have seen a online conversion course with the university of Aberdeen.
    Any advice would be gratefully received.

2. oglandia

oglandia New commenter

I have no idea about converting, but why not carry on with the supply and see if something comes temp to perm?

3. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

You don't need to do a conversion course, but if you were to be a class teacher you would need to be fully conversant with the National Curriculum in Maths, English and Science and have an understanding of the ways in which primary is different from secondary - I assume your supply teaching has given you a window onto this one. As @oglandia suggests, continuing supply or taking on long term supply/maternity cover could result in a permanent job. The advantage of this route is that you have the opportunity to show the school that you are capable of doing the job, whereas a school which looks at your experience on paper may be led to make negative assumptions about your ability to be a primary class teacher.
    Offering your ICT teaching skills might be another way into part-time teaching. You could send your c.v. to primary schools you might like to work in with a letter offering to teach each class a computing lesson each week. Some schools may like this idea and it may either help to support the class teachers' knowledge or cover the class for ppa time.

minnie me and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Be careful about conversion courses, especially those that promise the earth (at significant cost to you) There is no official course that can trump experience.

I think this may be one for speculative applications to schools.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. Rachelefinn

Rachelefinn New commenter

Please don't spend £5k PER YEAR on a conversion course. It is unnecessary. You have the qualifications and experience, you just need the break of a job offer.

6. SSCo

SSCo New commenter

Lots of primary staff are less confident about teaching IT so offer yourself as a volunteer to support classes. You have loads to offer Year 6 too as key stage 2/3 transition is a huge issue. I'm sure you could help get them secondary ready.
    Have a look at the Jigsaw resources which are the PSHE curriculum which a lot of primary schools teach.
    I moved from secondary to primary two years ago (no conversion course) and have been a Deputy and Acting Head in a primary. Not sure I would go back now.

Pomz likes this.
  7. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

No need to complete any course.

There is a national shortage of high quality teachers. Start applying and before long you will find a head who will snap you up for KS2...

Good luck:)