1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sorry, another post from disgruntled parent

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by schollanna, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Every other day the teacher is pulling back parents at home time with comments such as

Jack isn't concentrating at group time.
    Noah giggled with neighbour today when i read a story.
    During independent learning Jonnie doesn't put his toys away, or plays with toys as he wants.

Can i just say i feel totally frustrated. Is this really 'naughty' behaviour. I refuse to tell my 4.5 year old off for not concentrating. Pointless. Yes i can play games to encourage certain behaviours but surely some of this is down to the teacher. Is it really necessary and common to keep informing parents of these types of behaviours. It just causes strain at home, certainly between my husband and myself. I'm worried that my son is in class where the teacher can't teach boys!!!

What do you think?

2. Every other day the teacher is pulling back parents at home time with comments such as

Jack isn't concentrating at group time.
    Noah giggled with neighbour today when i read a story.
    During independent learning Jonnie doesn't put his toys away, or plays with toys as he wants.

Can i just say i feel totally frustrated. Is this really 'naughty' behaviour. I refuse to tell my 4.5 year old off for not concentrating. Pointless. Yes i can play games to encourage certain behaviours but surely some of this is down to the teacher. Is it really necessary and common to keep informing parents of these types of behaviours. It just causes strain at home, certainly between my husband and myself. I'm worried that my son is in class where the teacher can't teach boys!!!

What do you think?

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

EYFS encourages teachers to communicate with home and some take it to extremes however some parents would complain if their child's teacher didn't give a blow by blow account of every moment of their child's school day. Personally I would only mention things that are a real issue and at this early stage in school I would take the stance that children are still learning rules and routines.

4. I inform parents of some behavioural issues that have occured at school but only to make sure that home and school have the same expectations of children. I think it's also to make sure school and home act as a 'team' so home that follow through with any incidents at school. I pulled parents up on quite a lot of things at the beginning of the term and those children's behaviours have really improved. I also let parents know if their child's done anything really good also. As long as the teacher isn't being negative everytime they talk to parents I think it's a positive thing.

5. Just re-read that and don't think it makes too much sense, sorry!! Very tired!!

6. Maybe this teacher has been reading this forum and read about parents who are disgruntled when they find out on parents' evening that their child has a minor concentration problem and are very upset that they have not been told earlier.No, these are not serious misbehaviours and most teachers expect and deal with minor niggles like this. And they may mention it to parents as a way of sharing knowledge of the child. Nothing to do with apportioning blame to child, parent or teacher, just an information sharing exercise. Similar to mentioning if a child did not eat their school dinner.

7. Read back this thread to yourself. "Group time" "independent learning" "types of behaviours", "issues".......Can we get back to English and away from edubabble?

8. I'm not quite sure what the OP wants from this thread... is it feedback from teachers about why they do this? Or is it the teaching profession to change their entire practice as a whole based on one negative post on a forum? Or is it just a teacher-bash to make us all lift our heads high and carry on, fully morale-boosted about how we can never do anything right as we progress through the final days of term? Or are you primed to report straight back to mumsnet on what the nasty teachers say?

9. No, the parent simply wants to get a perspective that yes this teacher is excessive, for whatever reason. These are prefectly normal things for young children to do, and it seems as if the teacher is overdemaanding, or worse perhaps understands little of young children and this is probably the worry of this mother- and quite right too. She is perhaps all too aware of the self-fulfilling prophecy engendered in overly formal early years.