1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SORE, DRY AND ITCHY EYELIDS AND SURROUNDING AREAS!!!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by y4me, Mar 6, 2011.

1. y4me

y4me New commenter

Can anyone advise?
    The skin over and around my eyes, behind one ear and on one side of my forehead has become extremely dry, sore and red, and terribly itchy. I have tried to resist the urge to scratch, but sometimes I just have to give in and give a good old rub, which only makes the situation worse!
    It has been especially bad over the last few weeks, and no matter what eye products I use (or don't) the problem is still persisting and is starting to make me feel quite low. The top half of my face looks awful, with red blotches and really crinkly skin under my eyes - not nice, and I can feel this constant itch and prickliness!
    I first had this problem, but only on one eyelid, a couple of years ago, and was prescribed some steroid cream, which I sometimes use, but obviously it's not a long term solution, and in any case, whenever I stop using it, the problem returns.
    I have also spent a fortune on eye gels, creams etc, which I have been using for years - with no ill effects, but they all seem to cause a reaction nowadays!!!
    I daren't wear any makeup at the moment, which isn't great when I want to go out!
    Has anyone had this problem and found any over the counter product that soothes?
    Thanks!

2. y4me

y4me New commenter

Can anyone advise?
    The skin over and around my eyes, behind one ear and on one side of my forehead has become extremely dry, sore and red, and terribly itchy. I have tried to resist the urge to scratch, but sometimes I just have to give in and give a good old rub, which only makes the situation worse!
    It has been especially bad over the last few weeks, and no matter what eye products I use (or don't) the problem is still persisting and is starting to make me feel quite low. The top half of my face looks awful, with red blotches and really crinkly skin under my eyes - not nice, and I can feel this constant itch and prickliness!
    I first had this problem, but only on one eyelid, a couple of years ago, and was prescribed some steroid cream, which I sometimes use, but obviously it's not a long term solution, and in any case, whenever I stop using it, the problem returns.
    I have also spent a fortune on eye gels, creams etc, which I have been using for years - with no ill effects, but they all seem to cause a reaction nowadays!!!
    I daren't wear any makeup at the moment, which isn't great when I want to go out!
    Has anyone had this problem and found any over the counter product that soothes?
    Thanks!

3. Sounds very much like eczema, so using eye creams are going to aggravate it even more.

4. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I agree, it sounds a lot like Eczema. A visit to the GP sounds like it would be sensible. In the meantime, how about good old Sudocrem to soothe it? I hear that sometimes anti-inflammotary medicines can help too, such as ibruprofen.

5. y4me

y4me New commenter

I've thought about using sudocrem, but isn't that supposed to be for 'lower down' irritations??

I think I might make an appointment with my GP too!

Thanks for replies!!

6. No!

7. Sudocream is fantastic.
    I use it to treat the awful prickly heat I usually get down the front of my legs (attractive!) and after hair removal, especially waxing or creams.

8. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Sudocrem is a generall, all-purpose anti-septic cream. I use it for everything from eczeme patches, to spots, scratchs, cuts, stings...all sorts!

9. I'm not sure if you've ever seen My Big Fat Greek Weddingbut her Dad treats all ills with a spray of windex. My sister is like this with sudocream!
    Let's not forget the virtues of olbas oil!

10. y4me

y4me New commenter

OK! So can you actually use OLBAS oil and SUDOCREM in the sensitive eye area, cos I know a lot of moisturising etc. creams state 'do not use in the sensitive eye area'?
    [​IMG]

11. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Whatever you do, DO NOT put Olbas oil around you eyes. A light application of sudocrem should be fine but mind not to get it in the eye. Olbas will irritate severely.

12. No I wasn't recommending Olbas around the eyes, just being highly sarcastic about how much my mum and sister rave about it! I'm so sorry![​IMG]

13. Just reading your post in absolute sympathy. When my excema was at its worst a few years ago my eyelids were constantly dry. They used to swell up and I felt so run down because of it. However, I went to see my doctor who said to keep them moisturised using the excema cream I already use, and I could use a light dose of steriod cream on my forehead and neck too - that seemed to improve it a lot. I also started to use 'fake tears' which I got prescribed, but you can get similiar over the counter, and that seemed to help too - kind of like working from the inside out...!

14. y4me

y4me New commenter

Thanks, Genie! Your post sounds very useful!!

15. That's Ok - glad I can be of some help.
    If it carries on get in touch with the National Excema Society - they *can* be really useful - they helped me loads when I was younger!

16. jonkers

jonkers New commenter

This sounds exactly like what I have and it is v. important to get it treated. On a couple of occasions before I was diagnosed I ended up in the emergency eye clinic as the condition becomes so irritating that you rub and rub your eyes in your sleep making the mucous membrane swell so much that the eyelids can't shut and , for want of a better description, it looks as though you have pink frog spawn coming out of your eyes.
    Blepharitis is often linked to Roseacea - mine is. I have to take Doxycycline every day, put in artificial tears up to 10 times a day and use a steroid cream if I have a flare up. Luckily I get free prescriptions (it all seems to be connected to various auto-immune diseases) otherwise we my health problems would have bankrupted us!