1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sophie Lancaster Play - Black Roses

Discussion in 'English' started by Jules75, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Hi

I'm trying to get hold of a copy of the play that Simon Armitage wrote about Sophie Lancaster. Sophie was the girl who was kicked to death by a group of teenagers in a Bacup park, simply for looking different.

I'm writing a year 9 scheme of work about 'difference' and a copy wopuld really support it.

Don't suppose anyone uploaded a copy at all?

Thanks

2. I have it as a podcast in my itunes library but am not tech savvie so wouldn't know how I could get it to you.

3. I don't have a copy sorry but there is a writing competition currenlty running about SL. Might be worth building into your scheme. Not sure who is running it but if you google it it may come up. If not I will check when I am back in work next week if your interested.

4. Thanks for your responses. I am entering my students into the writing competition and wanted to use the play as a stimulus. Can anyone help or give infor about uploading or sending podcasts please?

Thanks

5. I have managed to burn it on to a CD, so if you leave your email address maybe I could arrange to put it in the post to you via 'snailmail'? Or maybe someone out there knows whether it is possible to send podcasts via email.

6. Have now managed to 'zip' it but it's still almost 40MB so I don't think I will be able to send it as an attachment as my email attachment limit is 20MB.

7. EllisB,

EllisB, you are an absolute star. My email address is juliette@mogg28.freeserve.co.uk . If you mail me then I could give you my snail mail address.

I really, really appreciate this.

Juliette

8. Hello ellisb - would it be possible for me to have a copy if I give you my home address?

Thank you

PF

9. Hello - just wondered if you got a copy of Black Roses? It was recently aired again on Radio4 and Imissed it! Really want to listen to it with y9 as part of SOW. susan.rigby@tesco.net Would it be possible to send a copy to my school address?

10. Yes I do still have a copy. You have email.

Sarum49 sorry I didn't pick up your request back in May. Do you still want a copy? Or maybe you picked it up on the recent repeat.

11. Hello ellisb, I managed to record the play on VHS tape and on tape recorder as well the Black Roses debate. A truly moving piece of writing.

Thanks,

Sarum49

12. I have written a factual book on the case - Weirdo Mosher Freak published by Pomona. I was the first journalist on the scene and covered the case throughout - this may help.

13. Metalhead

Metalhead New commenter

I never knew there was a play about Sophie. As an English teacher myself and, as my username suggests, a fan of alternative music, I'm always trying to educate my students, many of whom are so intolerant of any subculture whatsoever, about diversity - and I'm not talking in terms of race.

Catherine, I'm going to buy your book.

I remember when Ronan Harris, of VNV Nation, dedicated the song "Illusion" to her. It just seemed so fitting to have such a beautiful song dedicated to a beautiful young woman.

As English teachers, many of us are required to teach about different cultures - often through poetry - and it has long saddened me why we must always teach the same predictable things. There is more to understanding the world around you than understanding a different ethnic culture's world view or belief system. There are so many subcultures native to our island (I type as a Brit) that people ignore, deride and ridicule. If we can't embrace and celebrate diversity within our own national culture then I fail to see how teaching what 'Presents from my Aunts in Pakistan' will do for developing tolerance, understanding and acceptance. The masses are always scared of what they do not understand and that is a great, great shame.

Catherine - I think the title of your book is sublime. I have been called all the above myself, both on the street and in the classroom. Eventually, the students will come round - after spending 4 hours a week with me. However, they will still say things along the lines of "You're OK, for a goth, Sir!".

My experience of many colleagues is that the ridicule the alternative students. They belittle them. They reinforce any sense of isolation from mainstream society that may exist. I hate to admit it but it's true. Especially in my department who are all very fashionable and very trend conscious. Apart from me.

When I used to go on staff nights out, I'd wear my spiked New Rock boots and combats. I am proud of who I am and always will be. Teaching can be a very closed minded profession at times.

I'm sorry, I've ranted a little when I simply meant to make the point that I wasn't aware of the play and I will be buying Catherine's book.

If you will permit a little self-indulgence, I'd like to post the lyrics to the VNV Nation song - Holding On. I think it sums up the way that many people feel who aren't accepted by mainstream society. Don't misinterpret what I'm saying - an alternative lifestyle is a choice, but it's a choice that should be accepted and understood. Not mocked, have abuse directed at it, and certainly not be murdered for.

I thought the future held
    a perfect place for us
    That together we would learn to be
    the best that we could be
    In my naivety I ran
    I fell and lost my way
    Somehow I always end up falling over me

And one day
    I woke to find
    The future had no place
    for me
    I was unwanted in a world
    that with my hands I helped build
    Where once was honesty and pride
    I now stand broken and alone
    Just a shadow
    of what I was meant to be

They say that "Time will heal"
    "The truth shall set us free"
    Well that depends
    on what it is
    that you choose to believe
    In this prison made of lies
    We see what it is we want to see
    And find comfort in this
    broken hall of dreams

Does anybody feel
    the way I do?
    Is there anybody out there?
    Are you hearing me?

I believe in you
    Will you believe in me?
    Or am I alone
    in this hall of dreams?

I believe in you
    You believe in me
    But I have no trust
    in anything
    Somehow I'm always
    always falling over me

Somehow I'm always
    I'm always falling over me

Enjoy your weekend folks.

:)

Metalhead.

14. Metalhead

Metalhead New commenter

Apologies for the formatting above.

When I typed it, it was lovely. Now the TES has made it look like I can't paragraph.

Thanks, TES!

15. crampsfan

crampsfan New commenter

Thanks for sharing, Metalhead. I thought that was interesting and Sophie's story is truly tragic. It reminded me of a story my daughter told me. We live in South London and there's a park near the house that I've let my two girls go to on their own since they were about eleven. Lots of my friends thought I was mad but I hate the cotton wool kids syndrome. When my eldest was quite a bit older, about sixteen, she was taking a short cut through the park after dark when a bunch of the local kids saw her and her mate, shouted out, "Emos. Let's get 'em" or words to that effect and ran up to her and her male mate. When they recognised her they apologised. Bizarrely, she was never a proper emo anyway, it was just the skinny jeans they were going by. You don't have to be very different to get picked on.

16. Hi, just to correct myself. It is not a play as such but an elegy to Sophie Lancaster with poetry by Simon Armitage interspersed with an interview with Sophie's mum, Sylvia Lancaster.

17. Hello Catherine Smyth

I read your book on the murder of Sophie Lancater.
    It was a book I found difficult to put down and read it cover to cover over a week-end. The story it tells is compelling as what happened to Sophie and Rob Maltby (Sophie's boyfriend) was truly wicked, vicious and cruel.
    More importantly, it is a book that needs to be read and I would reccomend it to teachers, young people; indeed to anyone who considers themselves a compassionate humanitarian.
    Thank you.

18. Your feedback is invaluable sarum49. Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to buy the book, read it and post these comments. I hope it does indeed make a difference and make people stop and think and challenge their behaviour.

19. Hello,
    I heard the first broadcast of Black Roses and found it really powerful. I heard it again in the summer and tried desperately to record it but failed.
    I have a Sixth Form tutor group and am keen to use it in PSHE as the start of a project.
    I know it's very cheeky but do you still have a copy?
    Thank you in advance.