1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

...soo I mark too much?!?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by slingshotsally, Feb 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

So the previous week people were expressing concern about my health... after several hours of support in one week.

Previously I had been told my marking wasn't done often enough. Today I was informed that the presentation policy was not being applied properly.

Marking too much and in too much detail....

Children were not responding to my marking enough...

My handwriting was too difficult to read...

During observation children of a small sample didn't repeat the learning objective off by rote. (Damn it, I am clearly a RUBBISH teacher, and the kids SIMPLY don't know what they're doing!- even though they did it in their books!!)

Damn it- after making sure all the work was planned for a fortnight, LO & SC's printed off for week before hand,, resources on network done & placed on network for colleagues a week before hand... they got me on the marking!!

Are they right?

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Nit picking nonsense driven by insecure managers who think off of a tick sheet.

Not joking... that's all it is. So they can't read your handwriting? Sounds more like their problem.... [I've heard the same nonsense myself] ... children can't remember the LO? Is that really the focus of their lesson then.. .to memorise the LO?

Let me guess... hmmm, in place for a while? Maybe expensive? New leadership team? or Line Manager?

slingshotsally likes this.
  3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

This is absolute rubbish

100% gibberish and rubbish

As to what to do, I don't know. I just about throw my hands up in despair at it all now. They must be putting stupid in the water these days

4. slingshotsally

I forgot to mention- I will be observed again!! NICE

Tell you what though,

There shall be tremendous focus on "responding to feedback". Every single comment WILL have a reply made to it!!

... Oh you are wondering that lessons should be about progress??? Of course, it is progress, as they have responded to previous marking, children will now make progress because they will be responding to feedback!!!

WOW does your world rock yet?

No?! Not mine either! BUT SLT will love it!

SSS

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yeah that sounds familiar... sorry to say in my case it was a slippery downhill slope with no favourable resolution...

Sorry, not very helpful.

6. JRiley1

JRiley1 Established commenter

I agree completely they are being ridiculous! Come on they're children of course the can't remember the LO all the time, esp when random people ask them. This is just too much, I really feel for you :(

7. JessicaRabbit1

JessicaRabbit1 Senior commenter

Yes, I, along with a few others were told we mark too much the other day by our new Head. As a result, my pile of marking is currently sat untouched next to me,and will be for the rest of the weekend.

Ridiculous, pointless, make-myself-look-like-I'm-improving-standards-and-justifying-my-overinflated-salary strategy from those in charge. Oh, oh, and whilst we're at it,can we all start marking in red pen again please? Because green pen is so last year!

JRiley1 likes this.
  8. JRiley1

Honestly if I hear them go on about gow much children should be responding to feedback one more time....

9. slingshotsally

@lanokia - only started in September.

The feedback was interesting. From now on all conversations will be recorded. It's funny how there are no witnesses to these conversations.... They kept changing the observation day... Totally bizarre. Why would you chop and change so much?

One of the children I spoke to wanted to please them so much, he sort of crumbled. I think the kids know there is something thing going on. One parent told me this class had 6 teachers in the last accademic year until September - "don't leave".

I have calmed down a bit, but it was distressing at the time.

Sss

10. JRiley1

6 teachers :( poor kids. This is what's going to happen as more teachers feel pressure and are off sick or leave for other reasons...

cissy3 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

No no... from this point on you need to have everything in writing.Ignore anything verbal, insist on written communication and feedback... print off hard copies of e-mails. Do not rely on verbal anything.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  12. mistermanager

mistermanager New commenter

I teach a very practical subject and was looking at some of the students' work yesterday. It transpired there was ten times more 'feedback' and 'reflection' on the back of the work than actual work itself!! Crazy

cissy3 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  13. slingshotsally

@mistermanager I'm finding the "response" to marking at my school (even if it is only ok) is taken more seriously than children showing they have acted on said marking.

Sss

Noja likes this.
  14. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

If it's not on paper it doesn't exist. This is the stupidity we live with now in the world of education at all levels. I found it particularly at FE college:
    Your task is to build a dry-stone wall.
    You build a dry-stone wall to spec and it has been seen by the lecturer and pronounced as a sound wall.
    But your lecturer cannot sign it off as having been done and passed the requirements unless you have first taken photographs of it, written about it and handed this work in (to the same lecturer) who can then pass (or fail) you on the strength of the paperwork, although not the wall he has already seen (and on which you have already passed).
    This of course led to people taking pictures of the best wall from different angles and submitting it as their own. People posed with chainsaws by perfectly cut trees (not the tree they cut down) and submitted these photos. People took close-ups of the best trimmed hoof (but not the whole sheep) of the group and submitted these.

So in schools - you mark, they respond, you respond etc. - and it's all on paper so it must be right. No matter that they haven't made any changes to what they do - if they say they have it must be true.

This is also how schools get 'outstanding' for behaviour in a school where behaviour is in reality dreadful.... it's not the behaviour that's outstanding - nor even how staff attempt to deal with the behaviour, it's the behaviour policy that's outstanding - as a document - that is considered and passed.

And that's why data is such a big thing. If the bits of paper or spreadsheets say everything is fine, then it must be.

drek, Noja, Landofla and 9 others like this.
  15. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Yes @monicabilongame
    My life-skills quals had to be accompanied by numerous photos to prove we'd DONE it. Say it was shopping. Photos. And a sentence. Not good enough that I could write a blanket account. No.

We spent more time downloading photos than we did doing the activity!!!! For Entry Level! It's not as if it was a medical degree or rocket science!

It's all b00bs. That's what @cyolba used to say. And it's true.

drek, cissy3 and slingshotsally like this.
  16. slingshotsally

@monicabilongame & @grumpydogwoman

I think this is the new dimension in teaching that I find bizarre..

Although I may seem that I took this well, I simply didn't. I wept, profusely.

SSS

drek and Noja like this.
  17. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

This evidence thing really bugs me.

I've noticed that since I worked in the private sector (non-teaching) then all that matters is the end product. Not how you did it or why you did it or how many hours you took to do it.

At many schools we now have large amount of assistant heads who are just doing jobs about compliance and data. My last school until a few years ago used to have a head to two deputies now it also has 10 assistant heads all doing jobs that supposedly tick the boxes. None of this actually benefits the children but it does provide evidence for Ofsted for when they call every few years. What a waste of money and resources.

The marking policies in schools are the latest in this evidence gathering. Marking in multicoloured pens is of no benefit to the pupils, is very time consuming and is extremely inefficient in terms of time spent by the teacher and the expected outcomes. All it does is tick a big box for SLT.

I've mentioned before that once I'd resigned my teaching post I just marked as I used to and had a book scrutiny done on my books. Comment was "books marked regularly but no feedback in purple pen". The member of staff came to have a word about this telling me that the pupils not using their purple pen to correct answers was affecting their education. My reply was 'really, you actually believe that?' and I just walked off.

drek, old_dobbin, JRiley1 and 3 others like this.
  18. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I knew the writing was on the wall when my last HT said we would do whatever it was to 'cover our ars$ for OFSTED'. Not because it made sense or did anyone any good. No. It was ars$-covering.

You want to buy into that, mate? Carry on. That's not what I do.

drek and cissy3 like this.
  19. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I will say, though, that if a teacher's handwriting can't be read...they should write more carefully. Some schools expect teachers to model the handwriting policy in all marking, some schools just want the children and SLT, or SIP, or Ofsted inspector, or LA moderator to be able to read what's been put down. So I think that a teacher's handwriting should be neat in children's books and always legible.

That said, everything else is OTT and I do agree with what others have written and I sympathise with the OP.

20. slingshotsally

Well in 15 years this is the first time anyone has complained, even the children could read it! EAL & SEN children who can't/ couldn't read, just came and asked!

The thing is, Sillow, one of my university lecturer's used to write a strange squiggle, he eventually started to dictate replies to a secretary. It's a good thing his last few years were not blighted by people moaning about his handwriting. We didn't know at the time, but he had MS.

We used to watch him stagger and sway, and gossip that he might have had a snifter before lectures. I felt and still feel thoroughly ashamed of my younger self.

SSS

old_dobbin likes this.