1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Songs with ostinato - repeated patterns for primary children

Discussion in 'Music' started by edu103, May 18, 2012.

1. Hi there,
    I've been racking my brains all day and have a couple of ideas but thought I'd post here for more.
    Any ideas appreciated.
    Many thanks

2. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

'Summer is Icumin in'. Really old but very singable. Should be easily available on the internet.' I love the mountains' (on Singup maybe?).

3. jubilada

jubilada New commenter

For listening to or for performing?
    Stand by Me is a good one - you can get the children to listen for the guiro and traingle and work out what beat they play on.
    Black horse and the cherry tree by KT Tunstall is good for listening - I think there are 6 or 7 ostinatos built up in layers, so they are easy to hear and copy.
    Not a song, but Mars for The Planets is a good example of rythmic ostinato.
    For performing -rounds are good for melodic ostinatos eg Canoe round, Kookaburra, you can also use a rhythmic ostinato. Zulu Warrior in Junior Voiceworks has a good rhythmic ostinato accompaniment. I think the book Banana Splits also has lots of suggestions for ostinato accompaniments.

4. In Secondary, good for teaching ostinatos as repeated melodic pattern over chord changes - the intros to Boys of Summer by Glenn Frey and Domino Dancing by Pet Shop Boys.
    (I know you were looking for childrens songs, but I just thought I'd post this anyway,could be helpful to someone)

5. LennoxBerkeley

LennoxBerkeley New commenter

A new song search! My favourite topic. Struggling to think of anythat use repeated patterns off the top of my head. Will get back to you.
    Lennox

6. LennoxBerkeley

LennoxBerkeley New commenter

Got one...no...it's gone. Ostinatos are such a rare breed in the world of song aren't they?
    Lennox