1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Songs to Sing in Early Years

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Montana_x, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Montana_x

Montana_x New commenter

Hello,

I'm covering a Reception Class next week for a morning. I have been asked to take a song book with me, or just sing some songs with them?!?! Now my experience lies mainly with KS1 and Lower KS2, so I really don't know any songs (aside from Twinkle, Twinkle and Once I caught a Fish Alive!!) Can some one point me in the direction of a good website or book, thanks!!

JU3fromLeics likes this.
  2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Some ideas for songs that I'm sure you will know:

Incy Wincy Spider

The Wheels on the Bus

Five Currant Buns

Five Little Ducks

Five Little Speckled Frogs

Ten In The Bed

The Grand Old Duke of York

Pat-A-Cake

If you want to take a book, any nursery rhyme book will do - your local library will have one you can borrow.

"This Little Puffin" by Elizabeth Matterson is the Early Years teacher's bible in terms of classic little rhymes, poems and songs.

I also have "Bingo Lingo" and "Tom Thumb's Musical Maths" by Helen MacGregor, and "Bobby Shaftoe, Clap Your Hands" and "Pat-a-cake, make and shake" by Sue Nicholls. These are not traditional rhymes but are simple and fun for children. Many of the songs are also suitable for KS1.

solvacrime and JU3fromLeics like this.
  3. buzzylizzy

buzzylizzy New commenter

Some more song ideas...

Everybody do this... (copy action, suggest new ones)

Head, shoulders, knees, toes

Wind the bobbin up

If you're happy and you know it...

solvacrime and JU3fromLeics like this.
  4. JU3fromLeics

JU3fromLeics Occasional commenter

You can always change the words to existing songs to fit in with topics.
    eg 10 green bottles tune to a song about minibeasts. You could also change the type of minibeast each time. 10 buzzing bees, 9 wiggly worms...

5. bedelicious

bedelicious New commenter

BBC schools radio is great, it has lots of songs on for nursery and reception.

solvacrime likes this.
  6. rabbitace

rabbitace New commenter

Hope your lesson went ok.... don't forget to take a look at Out of the Ark Music, they have lots of songbooks for EY / KS1 with songs covering key topics, but also a single song download site called Song Calendar for those last minute songs with activities.

solvacrime likes this.