1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Songs to inspire boys to compose vocal music

Discussion in 'Music' started by dropje, Feb 12, 2012.

1. dropje

dropje New commenter

I am preparing an SoW for a half term of acapella singing in yr9. Ultimately I want them to compose an acapella song with the overall aim of becoming more confident in using their voices. I have found a number of clips on youtube d people who have created covers in an acapella style. However, I was wondering if any of you have any good beat boxing tips/singing warm ups/get-in-the-mood type activities.

2. dropje

dropje New commenter

I am preparing an SoW for a half term of acapella singing in yr9. Ultimately I want them to compose an acapella song with the overall aim of becoming more confident in using their voices. I have found a number of clips on youtube d people who have created covers in an acapella style. However, I was wondering if any of you have any good beat boxing tips/singing warm ups/get-in-the-mood type activities.

3. This may not be appropriate but I recently did some lessons on communication and expressing emotion. My group of 11 and 12 year old boys had to convey a series of emotions to an audience without using 'proper' words. As an intro, I showed them the Maori haka and they loved it, it broke down a lot of barriers. Maybe this might be a way in; build some confidence with a chant before introducing all those notes, timings and fancy stuff!
    It is certainly an example of confident use of voice if that's your aim! And if there's any concerns about singing being girly then 15 pumped up Maoris in full flight will certainly knock that on the head.
    Good luck

4. Hi there,
    I wonder if you have heard 'Naturally 7'. They are an excellent acapella group who are upbeat and modern and in no way could be considered girly!. Also Napolean Maddox makes accessing Hip Hop style really easy. Both are on youtube and could help you out.