1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Songs of Oppression - suggestions?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Joffer, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Joffer

Joffer New commenter

Hi
    Our next music topic in Year 4 is about the music of oppression. In terms of the actual lessons, I have it covered but I would like to put together a playlist of songs relating to oppression which I can introduce them to.
    Here are some examples:
    • I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free - Nina Simone
    • The Times They Are A Changing - Tracy Chapman
    • Where Is The Love? - Black Eyed Peas
    • Imagine- John Lennon
    Any more in a similar vein, which aren't sweary (or anything really different which carries a good message)?

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Really? Aren't they a bit young to appreciate the context for that sort of music?

3. Hmm - I assume you mean songs that are a response to oppression - so 'protest songs', rather than songs 'of' oppression? It does seem a bit of an odd theme for year 4, although I have touched on it in Year 5, where we look at prejudice and stereotyping in PSHCE.
    Two that spring immediately to mind - Something Inside So Strong and Free Nelson Mandela.

4. Joffer

Joffer New commenter

Handled sensitively and sensibly, I think they are more than ready. Like the poster before me alluded to, it relates in to PSHCE and ideas of fairness. I've found this year that the children can have quite a strong critical awareness and are starting to develop their worldviews at around this age.

5. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Queen - I want to break free

6. I absolutely agree with the OP. My son has been immersed in all genres of music since he was tiny and has used lyrics in and as a basis for lots of his schoolwork ... in all areas. We mustn't lose sight of the power of lyrics, especially for maturing children. I use music ALL the time in my classroom, often unpicking the lyrics and using them for inspiration. Keep up the great work OP ... high expectations are the greatest driver of achievement :)

7. Joffer

Joffer New commenter

I gladly embrace any opportunity to shoehorn Queen into my teaching.

8. How about "Scots wha hae wi Wallace bled?

9. Sorrim

Sorrim Occasional commenter

Labi Siffre -Something inside so strong -it's on Sing Up
    Sorrim x

10. jubilada

jubilada New commenter

Bob Marley - Redemption Song, Get Up, Stand Up

11. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Rage Against The Machine - Killing in the Name Of
    The Clash - Clampdown!
    Tom Robinson - Glad to be Gay
    Gil Scott Heron - The Revolution Will Not Be Televised
    Fela Kuti and Afrika 70 - Zombie
    Junior Murvin - Police and Thieves
    NWA - **** Tha Police

All fairly unsuitable, as protest songs generally are once you get down to the nitty gritty of what they're all about.

12. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Also:
    Public Enemy - Fight The Power
    and how could I forget...
    Marvin Gaye - What's Going On?

13. How about the most oppressive song of all?
    Verse 6 of God Save the Queen!