1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Songs for Year 6 leavers assembly...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Reb1Mc, Apr 28, 2008.

1. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Have you got Music Express in your school? If so, there's a lovely song in one of the Y6 units called Silver & Gold. The lyrics are about moving on and old friends and new, your new friends being silver and the old ones gold.

Helpfully, for musical doofuses (eg. me!), the unit shows you how to split the song, with children split into two groupssinging different parts at different pitches (it sorts your tenors from your sopranos too). The music comes with it too. It's very effective.

2. Ezzie

Ezzie Occasional commenter

I'm doing Leaver's Song from music for every occasion (Out of the Ark) - had to alter the words ever so slightly. Started learning it today, I was welling up and it's only April, I'm going to be in bits by July!

3. Feeling better about the emotion - glad you lot cry too! My year collegue is a block so not expecting much from him except laughter as I blub through it!

Trying to find positive up beat stuff other wise I will be in pieces!

4. I always cry!!!

5. Have felt sad the last two years to see them go (especially the first year as it was NQT year so had a real soft spot for them) but never felt near to crying. However, like some of you have said, this year I have an adorable class. Already feel upset when I think about them leaving.

Last year we did Obviously (McFly) but with these amended lyrics.

Recently I?ve been
    Sad reminiscing
    About the good times
    That we have all had
    At this school (could replace this with name of school if two syllables)

Here are all my friends
    An sadly it?s the end
    Cause it?s the last day
    And we?re in Year 6
    We?re leaving

For so many nights now
    I find myself thinking of next year now

Cause Obviously, I don?t want to leave
    I don?t want to go
    And leave friends that I know
    But there is a brand new school just waiting there for me
    Oh Yeah A brand new school just waiting there for me

Gotta escape now
    Leave through these gates now
    Yeah
    Off to new schools
    And that?s where we?ll stay
    For five years

For so many nights now
    I find myself thinking of next year now

Cause Obviously, I don?t want to leave
    I don?t want to go
    And leave friends that I know
    But there is a brand new school just waiting there for me

Cause Obviously, We don?t want to leave
    We?re saying goodbye
    For the very last time
    And there is a brand new school just waiting there for me

It made me smile anyway!

6. oh i love that mcfly one. may have to nick it ...

we're doing the 'believe' song from sing up. Made me cry first time they sang it in rehearsal. God knows what i'll be like on the day

7. Are people really already rehearsing leaver's assemblies? SATs?!?

Feel free to steal Obviously. I would say it will save you the work, but in all honesty it wasn't work. Everytime I found a line that fitted I gave a little chuckle and patted myself on the back! :)

8. just at the planning stages. the choir will be singing believe but wanted something for y6 to sing on their own.

9. Just sat with Youtube on fitting in your lyrics-cracking.Our head who is a real star is leaving too so we need to do something fantastic for him.

I really like this.They wrote a version of Leaving on a jet plane for me so I want to do something exciting for them.

Troll

10. I love loads of these ideas but none of us in the Year 6 team can play the piano or anything. What do you do for music? Do you just sing along to the original?

11. We didn't have backing music, just voices. It's more difficult to learn it that way but once it's learned it often sounds as good if not better than a piano accompaniment to a song that isn't piano music.

Another option is to get some of the musical pupils in your class to play whilst the others sing. Only good if they have the confidence and ability but that's quite a nice way of doing it.

12. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

Every Time We Say Goodbye, Robbie Williams - this one went on our Photostory along with the fabulous Greenday and Grease songs mentioned earlier. Thanks to whoever gave us the ideas for those on here this time last year; I think it was JT who mentioned photostory, but I might be wrong.

As to songs for the service, when I left my last job in July 07, at the same time as my class (Y6), we sang "We'll meet again" at our leavers' service.

(And we did, PIzza and Bowling at Christmas...and we're meeting yet again for a BBQ in the summer...)

13. Loving the McFLy song !

Don't worry still in SATS mode, just thinking about the after math and making sure it is something worth watching!

14. So pleased people appreciate mcfly. When I wrote it, no one seemed that impressed. Assumed I had only amused myself. Cleary there are people on here with the same sense of humour! x

15. jillbaggins

jillbaggins New commenter

Thanks everyone! I picked a few and rewrote It's a long way to Tipperary and Pack up your troubles too
    What a job eh?

16. WelshMags

WelshMags New commenter

There are websites such as karoke-version.co.uk from which you can download backing tracks of many well known songs for a few quid. You can get them without vocals if you are making up different words. You can even make the track higher or lower in pitch to suit the children's voices.

17. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

Five - keep on moving

18. Jenkibubble

Jenkibubble Occasional commenter

My daughter did 'When I grow up' from Matilda at hers two years ago !
    This year my son is doing an edited version of 'Somewheee only we know' by Keane.