1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Songs for Year 6 leavers assembly...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Reb1Mc, Apr 28, 2008.

1. I love using 'We go together' from Grease for Year 6 if it is primary school so they are leaving.

2. misshughessph

misshughessph New commenter

we did Grease last year as an end of year production and used 'We go together' as the official leaving song - kids love it!
    Also did Never forget - take that
    Reach - sclub7
    Greatest love of all - whitney
    that R Kelly song about champions??

Not sure what this years will be, we are doing we will rock you for our year 6 production, so no doubt it will be a Queen song! :)

3. Loving the idea of finishing with 'Don't stop me now!'

4. We always use 'One more step along the road I go.'

shellp_1984 likes this.
  5. A few thoughts here:

With a little help from my friends - beatles
    Anytime you need a friend - Mariah Carey
    You are beautiful - Christina Aguilera
    I'll be there for you - Rembrandts
    We are the Champions - Queen
    I?m Moving' On ? Rascal Flatts
    Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John
    or how about

Farewell, Adieu, Auf Wiedersehen, Goodbye from the sound of music

6. I really wanted to do 'Don't stop me now'...but then read the lyrics and thought again.

7. We use MPeople - Proud.

8. Turn turn turn by the Byrds

9. Go to www.singup.org and look at their song bank.
    Great song on there called 'believe'. It comes with backing tracks/performance tracks/teaching materials etc. Great for year 6's. Great song! There really wont be a dry eye in the house!

10. We did Que sara sara last year by Doris Day old fashioned but it was good- we changed the words- 'que sara sara we're going to secondary the future's not ours to see Que sara sara.'We changed the verses too. I'm sure I have the words on my PC at school if you want them.

11. Good riddance by Greenday - seriously! It's often called 'the time of your life'

12. There's a lovely song that goes something like, goodbye my friend, it's not the end....how could it be, when we've got such memories....I can't remember the rest but i'll find out for you tomorrow.

13. Thanks for the replies - would love the song words that people have suggested they might be able to find.

Feeling slight pressure because a parent at parents evening said, "When our Jack left it was such a fabulous assembly I am erally looking forward to this one, am sure it will be very special!!"

thanks for that- oh and they said this in the September meeting!

14. We sung a song about our teachers to the tune of drunken sailor... its in the heard it in the playground poem book along with the goodbye old school poem.

15. You said about lyrics - I just think this song is beautiful.
    Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)

Another turning point
    A fork stuck in the road
    Time grabs you by the wrist
    Directs you where to go
    So make the best of this test
    And don't ask why
    It's not a question
    But a lesson learned in time
    It's something unpredictable
    But in the end is right
    I hope you had the time of your life

So take the photographs
    And still frames in your mind
    Hang it on a shelf of
    Good health and good time
    Tattoos of memories
    And dead skin on trial
    For what it's worth
    It was worth all the while
    But in the end is right

But in the end is right

But in the end is right

16. wicked witch

wicked witch New commenter

We've used 'Simply the Best' by Tina Turner, 'We are the champions' by Queen and 'Final Countdown' bon Jovi.

17. When I left primary school we sang 'Thank you for the days' and 'Goodbye Old School'. 10 years later (oh my goodness, 10 years!) I still remember most of the words and the memories they evoke.

I think 'Goodbye Old School' is perfect. This is as much as I can remember. I think it's in 'I heard it in the playground' by the Ahlbergs.

Goodbye, Old school
    We're going away.
    Goodbye, Old school
    We're leaving today
    Goodbye to the teachers
    Goodbye to you all,
    The classrooms, the cloakrooms,
    The playground, the hall.
    Goodbye Old school, we're going away.

Goodbye, Old school
    We?ll never forget
    The smell of the cloakrooms
    with coats soaking wet.
    The games in the playground,
    the songs on the bus.
    We?ll think of you
    Will you think of us?
    Goodbye, Old school, we'll never forget.

When I left secondary school some of the teachers sang the Green Day song to us which was really special as they'd put so much effort into practicing and rehearsing.

18. Loving the ideas- only problem I will have now is how to keep my emotions in check, I have a great class and a year group and will be sad to see them go. Even if I sometimes want to pull my hair out when I am with them!!!

Is it tacky to cry???

19. Think they had a sweepstake on when I was going to cry!

20. We are a church school and host Leaver's service in church, therefore can't really do 'Don't stop me now' etc (although our priest would find it highly entertaining). Last year, Y6 sang 'The Prayer', it was very fitting and completely moving. Won't be quite so sad to see the current lot go, 'Hallelujah Chorus' more appropriate :)

miss_wilson likes this.