1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Songs for year 3/4

Discussion in 'Primary' started by SomeDogsDo, Jul 8, 2018.

1. SomeDogsDo

SomeDogsDo New commenter

My background is in Early Years and in September I will be teaching upper KS1/ Lower KS2. My repertoire of songs is not really appropriate...can you please recommended songs that would appeal to this age group.

2. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

See if your school will subscribe to Sing Up.It is a fantastic resource and will benefit the whole school.
    Have a look on You Tube- you can find topic linked songs there.
    Have a look at Out of the Ark resources.
    Ask the current year 3/4 teachers what they use.

digoryvenn likes this.
  3. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Sing Up is a great resource - but it’s such a shame the material is only available if you subscribe. Being able to buy/download individual songs would have been the best way forward, in my opinion.
    The repertoire that ‘works’ for Years 2, 3 and 4 will be dependent upon the cohort of children - sometimes you find that what went down well with one class doesn’t catch the imagination of another.
    Try a mix of sea shanties (e.g. What shall we do with the drunken sailor?), traditional songs (e.g. My bonnie lies over the ocean, Puff the Magic Dragon), songs from films (e.g. Bare Necessities), old pop songs (Yellow Submarine), rounds (Frere Jacques), action songs (e.g. Heads, Shoulders, Knees and Toes, Nicky Nicky Nicky Noo - from songbooks published by A & C Black) to new songs from publishers like Out of the Ark, Grumpy Sheep Music etc.

4. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Sorry - that should read Nicky, Nacky, Nocky, Noo - which is what I wrote but the predictive text changed it!

5. SomeDogsDo

SomeDogsDo New commenter

Thank you very much for your reply, I especially like the idea of sea shanties!

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Currently '3 lions'...but they have liked hearing the story of Euro 96 and who Baddiel and Skinner are, some have read Baddiel's books.
    Similarly some of the (ancient to them) pop songs with stories (War is Over at Christmas for instance)
    And they love songs from musicals... Food Glorious Food, Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
    The silly songs such as Ellie the Elephant; Lilly the Pink; Mud, Mud Glorious Mud; Ugly Duckling
    Lots from the Beatles are popular
    And we have enjoyed singing Robbie Williams' I Love My Life.

Loads that are free on Amazon
    And YouTube often has them and you can add subtitles which is fab for sing a long times

Awww going to miss all this in September...I'm making the opposite move.

digoryvenn likes this.
  7. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

I found that going to the cinema with my grandchildren produced a very long list of songs that they know and enjoy singing.
    Many of the songs from the recent (ish) big animations are right on message for children too.
    for instance from Zootropolis, Shakira, "Try Everything"
    most of the Disney numbers are well known and enjoyed by that age group.
    It really helps the weaker readers if they know the song well too.

8. louisei

louisei New commenter

9. ralphee11

ralphee11 New commenter

Musicals and well known 'older' bands go down a treat. We've done Grease, Joseph, Queen songs, Abba, Take That etc. Grease was their favourite. We ended up putting on a bit of song showcase for their parents because they loved it so much.

10. SomeDogsDo

SomeDogsDo New commenter

Thank you all for your contributions, I am looking forward to using your suggestions!
    Are there any call and reply type songs that any of you have used please?

11. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

12. SomeDogsDo

SomeDogsDo New commenter

Thank you sparklepig!