1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Songs for doing the register

Discussion in 'Primary' started by want2be2011, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Hi All
    Does anyone know of/use any simple songs when doing the register, preferably for the children to sing to each other as I tick off their names? I would like to start each day on a high and keep the children occupied while I do the admin.
    In January I will be beginning an assessed placement in KS1 so currently building up a bank of activities and strategies so any ideas would be welcomed [​IMG]
    Thankyou

2. Hi All
    Does anyone know of/use any simple songs when doing the register, preferably for the children to sing to each other as I tick off their names? I would like to start each day on a high and keep the children occupied while I do the admin.
    In January I will be beginning an assessed placement in KS1 so currently building up a bank of activities and strategies so any ideas would be welcomed [​IMG]
    Thankyou

3. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Whenever I sing the register I sing it on a minor third (the ner ner ner ner ner, I'm the king of the castle tune - the first part, or E-C#). It's easy for all the children to sing on their own. Some teachers teach them the number the are on the register and get them to call that out for speed - but I've always got in a muddle if I try that (very easy!!).

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Cripes!

5. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

I know what you mean, Nick. I'm amazed that clear_air doesn't use a perfect fifth like the rest of us!

6. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

[​IMG]

7. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

It's easy for you guys. My voice is a soprano-bass. I can never hit the right note.

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

This has made me laugh soo much. My OH has just asked why I'm laughing and then pointed out that if I were to sing the register at all, I'd be sacked for child cruelty!

I agree with the keeping them occupied and interested. I tend to do fun answering for the dinner register and normal for the attendance. So before I start I tell them what today's will be and then do the attendance while they think. Then for the dinner register they might give me the freakiest food, or poshest food, or funniest food, or favourite food, or prettiest food, etc. If they want packed lunch they need to give a sandwich filling (so spider sandwiches or toe nail and hair wraps kind of thing) and for school dinner a proper meal (deep fried butterflies on salad, has to be my favourite so far).

It means they think all the way through the first register and listen and giggle all the way through the second. It tells you a lot about your class as well when you do poshest or 'most normal'.

9. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I'm trying to imagine the uncontrollable mirth that would ensue if I ever sang the register to my class.
    They laugh when I sing in class anyway, teaching Christmas/Harvest songs, etc. I tell myself that they're laughing with me.

10. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Oh, yah boo to you!! (I don't sing the register very often any more, ahem)
    Ner ner ner ner ner !!

11. natbar

natbar New commenter

A teacher in my school did it to duck sauce song the kids LOVED it as it was recent and they heard it on the radio. [​IMG]

12. My Year 1 class do handwriting from the board while i do the register. I also play calming classical music or Enya while doing this. It's very peaceful and quiet. :0)
    x