1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

songs about the Romans

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sparklepig2002, Sep 13, 2009.

1. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I have been asked to teach year 4 some songs about the Romans. I don't know any and have had an unsuccessful look on the internet. Could anyone give me any sugggestions?
    thank you in advance.

2. tangerinecat

tangerinecat New commenter

Could you make some up? We did this for Ancient Egypt. The lyrics were fairly dodgy (written by 7/8 year olds), but it was a fun way to recap what we'd learnt.
    It was about 8 years ago, and it was something like this:
    (to tune of Frere Jacques)
    Ancient Egypt, Ancient Egypt
    It was hot, it was hot
    Mummies in their cases, mummies in their cases
    In their tombs, in their tombs

Howard Carter X2
    He got (something)X2

You get the idea....

3. Latin Lingo. Can be found on the Sing Up Website.

4. stuffedcrust

stuffedcrust New commenter

'Just like the Romans' is a good one and can be bought from Amazon. Also 'The be-bop Ballad of Boudicca' is on Amazon too.

5. TreesK

TreesK New commenter

There's 'A Bookful of Ancient Rome' in the Sing it and Say it series by ....er...I think it's sarah Ridgeley and Gavin Mole. I seem to remember there were some great ones in there if you were a bit selective. We liked the left, right, left, right, marching into britain one.. and one where half of them are romans and half celts.

6. The Court of King Caractacus
    Dodgy Roman link ... think he resisted the Romans ...
    Really fun song ... Rolf Harris did it ... the verses get faster and more complicated ...
    Dodgy link, as I say, but great song for kids.
    regards

7. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

thank you very much to you all - wonderful suggestions!

8. MissBoom

MissBoom New commenter

try notable songs, type it in google. I bought the Roman one last year :) dead cheap too

9. GordonWright

GordonWright New commenter

Hi,
    Peter Harrison wrote a whole 'musical' about Hadrian's Wall (catchily entitled 'Hadrian's Wall') which includes 9 songs. I find them very listenable. The 'musical' tells the story of the wall through narration interspersed with the songs. The website is www.soundmusic.biz
    A & C Black do a series of history songsheets including one called 'Just Like a Roman'. The website is www.exacteditions.com Then look in their music catalogue on p15.
    Hope this helps.

10. thank you

11. We are the bodyguard of Julius Caesar. He's got a face like a lemon squeezer.
    To the tune of the well-known circus theme tune (don't know what it's called).
    Full lyric, from www.traditionalmusic.co.uk

12. The Horrible Histories website has a good song about Boudicca,l although I'm not sure if it's the genre that you're looking for! [​IMG]

13. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

not a song, but a good intro for a song based assembly. I learne dot play it ont he recorder as a child.

Julius Caesar, the Roman geezer,
    Squashed his wife with a lemon squeezer!

Amuses children anyway...

14. Not all that historically accurate.