1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Songs about reaching goals...or trying to!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by yoitsjo, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Hi everyone! I have posted this on primary but wondered if anyone over here had any bright ideas...
    I am writing my class assembly once again...
    We are talking about what we are good at, telling the story of Ambrose goes for gold (thank you to the tesser that suggested that), singing a song about what we are good at, talking about what we want to get better at and how we will get better (new years resolutions) and then I would like a song.
    I did a very similar assembly last year with a different story and different songs. I used 'reach for the stars' which was a hit with the parents as the children all sang and danced to the song. I am trying to find a song that will match that! I was thinking about 'Don't stop never give up' by S Club 7 but am not sure that it is as good...does anybody have any other bright ideas?!
    Thanks in advance!

2. One moment in time - Witney Houston

3. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Don't stop believing? Tap into glee mania

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Spandau Ballet - Gold.
    Gold! Always believe in your goals.....

5. Thanks for that one chilliexx...the lyrics are just what I am looking for! I probably should have added that the children are Year 1 though - I'm not sure how they would sound singing Whitney?! What do you think?

6. Thanks for your replies!!
    My initial idea was don't stop believing...I think the children would enjoy singing that...the only thing that put me off was the lyrics...'a singer in a smoky room, the smell of wine and cheap perfume'...I son't think I can get away with my Year 1s singing that!
    Gold is a good idea. I also thought of the Going for Gold theme tune but can't find the music!

7. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Proud, by m people?

8. That's a good idea curlygirly...the lyrics are good, can't think what the verses sound like but can hear the chorus.
    So many of them are slow...that's why reach was such a good option last year...upbeat and child friendly lyrics! Can't use the same one really as have a sibling from last year!

9. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Starship - Nothing's gonna stop us now... the parents will love it... they won't mind if the lyrics are a tad ambiguous...

10. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Something about stepping out of the ordinary,
    " I can feel my soul ascending, I'm on my way can't stop me now and you can do the same...."
    We play it in our achievement assembly. Can't remember it all but I think it's fairly appropriate.

11. Think m people might be a bit too slow. Starship is upbeat but am not sure I dare let my little Year 1s sing those lyrics...I'm not sure the head or parents would be too impressed...! Thank you very much for the ideas though!! [​IMG]

12. Miley Cyrus - The Climb - it is in the Hannah Montana movie

13. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I miss the olden days when children sang children's songs.

14. Primary children still can sing songs written by professionals for
    their age, eg Dave Kinnoin's "Teaspoon at a Time" CD has the title track
    on this theme, broken down to small steps.
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/teaspoon-at-a-time/id308944889

15. chorus:

One, two, three, and countin’…

A teaspoon at a time, we’re gonna move that mountain.

A teaspoon at at time.

Full lyric at www.songwizard.com

16. The other song that the children are singing is a children's sing to the tune of 'she'll be coming round the mountain', I will look into the teaspoon song, thanks! I don't mind if it is a 'pop' song or children's song to be honest, as ling as the pop song has no lyrics that children shouldn't be singing...although such songs are hard to find!!

17. Katherine Dines is a childrens' songwriter (grammy nominee) who has a
    few songs about reaching goals, from the CD "Hunkta Bunkta Boo2", are
    the tracks, ""All You Have to do is Try", and "Muscle and Bones" I'd
    highly recommend them for Y1:

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/kdines2