1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

songs about Ancient Greece

Discussion in 'Music' started by sparklepig2002, Feb 27, 2010.

1. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I have been asked to prepare something musical about Ancient Greece for the year 4's class assembly.Could anyone recommend any songs or activities,as I havent taugh this topic before and have no resources.
    Many thanks

2. tanbur

tanbur New commenter

3. bod99

bod99 New commenter

there was a great book called Clap it say it Ancient Greece (Gavin Mole?), but I think it's out of print now. worth tracking down if you can find it!

4. sparklepig2002

thank you very much Bod and Tanbur

5. There is a lovely musical based on the Persephone legend - veryaccessible songs - voices and piano - some unison some in simple harmonies- I think the composer is Geoffrey POgson and it might be Boosey & Hawkes.Have done it several times with kids and they loved it- you could just do one or two songs

6. We have a show based on Pandora's Box, if that's helpful:
    http://www.spiderwebmusicals.co.uk

V_M

7. TreesK

TreesK New commenter

8. A and C Black do some history songs in their songsheet series. They include lots of facts and are very lively so go down well with the children. Ode to the Ancient Greeks costs £8.99 - comes with CD and backing track. It's on the classroom/assembly resource list on the music section of their website - acblack.com/music. All their musci resources are excellent and these songs are ideal for assemblies.

9. sparklepig2002

thank you for all your suggestions[​IMG]