1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Song for Ancient Egypt Class Assembly?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jamcdo, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Hi! I'm spending my Christmas holiday trying to plan my class assembly on ancient Egypt but I can't think of a good song to use. The obvious 'Walk like an Egyptian' by the Bangles doesn't actually fit when you look at the lyrics and my mind has gone blank. There must be other songs I could use - can anyone help?? Don't mind if the link is a bit tenuous, just need something to finish with!

Thanks.

2. Hi! I'm spending my Christmas holiday trying to plan my class assembly on ancient Egypt but I can't think of a good song to use. The obvious 'Walk like an Egyptian' by the Bangles doesn't actually fit when you look at the lyrics and my mind has gone blank. There must be other songs I could use - can anyone help?? Don't mind if the link is a bit tenuous, just need something to finish with!

Thanks.

3. Delphi

Delphi New commenter

4. The AC Black songsheets are fantastic and could be used as the basis for teaching your whole topic. The Egyptians one is particularly good I think.

5. Thanks for the ideas. I think I'll go with the AC Black ones as they look really good.

6. sharonmartine

sharonmartine New commenter

Hi, I know this was ages ago but what do you mean by AC Black?

7. A parent of one of my pupils wrote a brilliant Egyptian song. I have an MP3 of the instrumental track still, could probably track down the words.

8. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

Hi
    I've used this so I know what they are talking about. AC Black are an education publisher. They do various books, inc. the Music Express series, and also do songs for assemblies. If you google 'AC Black music' you'll get a link to the web page. You then want to click on 'Classroom & Assembly Resources' at the side and the 'Amazing Egyptians' pack is on about the 4th page. You get a CD with the backing track, song and various excerpts to support teaching, teacher's notes, lesson plans (if you want to use it as a basis for your music lessons), ideas on how to incorporate instruments, etc.
    I liked the pack and the children really liked the song and enjoyed performing it, so I would recommend, although it does cost about £9. Don't know if you could get it through the history or music budget? I had to buy it myself!

9. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

my main school uses a lot of contemporary music in singing assembly, very succesfully!
    so why not "walk like an Egyptian" naff but most of the kids already know it and like the movements