1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Son had MMR 2 weeks ago, now has measles!

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by landaise, Jan 18, 2011.

1. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

I can only speak for the vaccine they give in France, but here the notice that comes with the vaccine tells you to EXPECT a reaction within three weeks of taking it, my doctor told me it was proof it had taken well and the antibodies were installed in your child's immune system.
    A vaccine will reduce the symptoms, too : my eldest caught German measles after her MMR but only in mild form and is now super protected from it, good for her !

2. Hi, I'm not an expert but my son had his MMR on Friday and the nurse told me if he was going to get a reaction to it it would happen in a couple of weeks. If I remember correctly the vaccine is a small dose of the illnesses which would explain why he has the rash. Like I say I'm not an expert but I think he's just having a reaction to the vaccine and it's quite common. Calpol is my advice!!

3. Having the measles mildly as a reaction to the vaccine is his body producing the antibodies to fight the illness. Don't feel stupid or regret letting him have it- a little discomfort now at a year old is a small price to pay for a lifetime's immunity to measles. Hope he gets better soon!

4. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

Well, 30 years ago my baby had the measles injection (no MMR back then!) and within a week was in hospital with measles. The Dr. more or less said if she was this ill from the vaccine imagine how ill she would have been if she'd had full blown measles. My response was that she wouldn't have been 18 months old and I wouldn't have been the one who 'gave' it to her!
    She fully recovered, but I always felt guilty about it, silly really as like you I was doing what I thought best. Hopefully your little boy will be better very soon.

5. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Hi all,
    Thank you ever so much for replying- I appreciate all your advice and thank you for your quick response.
    My son had quite a strong reaction to the MMR but I am very relieved to say that the temperature only lasted 2 days and was managed using calpol.
    The rash was every where and in every orifice however he avoided having it in his eyes or conjunctivitis either so that was a great relief.
    Most of it disappeared by this evening and he is almost right as rain.
    Thanks for everything- I was very distressed when I saw the state of him after the nursery rang to say he had a rash- it looked vile and it was all over his torso and face even though I got there within 20minutes of them calling.
    The nursery staff said they noticed it on his body when changing him at 11am and by the time I got there it was all over. It fell "just like a curtain". That was frightening.
    BPG