1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Son faints in Biology lessons

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by lastgasp, Jan 5, 2016.

1. lastgasp

lastgasp New commenter

Can anyone help me, my son often faints in Biology lessons - he has been diagnosed with vasovagal syncope when in junior school. It is distressing for him (and the other children I shouldn't wonder) and it can take him all day to recover. Does anyone know if it is possible for him to do GCSE physics and chemistry and miss the biology out all together.

For anyone wondering I am not a teacher but my husband is - which is why I have access here for resources :)

2. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

There's nothing in any exam regulations which would prevent this - the difficulty will be whatever the school's policy is.

As your son has a clear special need and as this can be dealt with so easily, I'd be surprised if the school would have a problem with this. In fact, it might be something they'd love to do but daren't mention it to you in case you get upset about him being 'discriminated against'....

3. lastgasp

lastgasp New commenter

thanks for your reply - I must admit I had never seen it as a special need I shall discuss this further with the school

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Is there a reason why this happens in biology lessons, rather than any other lessons? Just curious :)