1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sometimes, heads are nice :)

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by anon8315, Nov 9, 2015.

1. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

My headteacher has authorised me for a days leave with pay to attend my brothers graduation ceremony. This means a great deal to him: unfortunately our parents have passed away so if I didn't go, his attending would be a bit pointless (and it means a lot to him - he has autism and has really struggled to get his degree.)

I thought I'd probably be given a days leave but having it paid is a lovely gesture.

That woman is on my homemade mince pie Christmas list :)

2. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Is that a good thing, badger girl? I wouldn't like to be the person on my homemade mince pie list. I'd be worried about losing my fillings.

midnight_angel and badger_girl like this.
  3. anon8315

I like to think mine are rather nice, but perhaps she will react in the same dubious way I do when a child gives me something they baked in Food Tech!

midnight_angel likes this.
  4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'm glad to hear that you are going to have the opportunity to be there with and for your brother, @badger_girl

Best wishes for a super day

badger_girl likes this.
  5. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I expect yours are delicious. But here is a true story. Once upon a time the children in my nursery class had made mince pies. They had pounded the pastry as enthusiastically as they pounded clay and playdoh. Our head came to see the nursery nativity and was afterwards offered one of the pies by the inn keeper whose job it was to hand them round. She took an enthusiastic bite from it and lost a front crown!

I do hope you enjoy the graduation day.

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Yes, one of the 'good 'uns' that are around! @badger_girl ;)
    So pleased your brother has made it thus far. Did he do it via OU? One of my son's did it that way as he just couldn't have coped with all the social interaction ordinarily, although he could cope with the short term summer schools sessions.

badger_girl likes this.
  7. anon8315

He managed it through a conventional university, in fact, although has had breaks in between which is why it's been a long and arduous process!

He is so proud of himself. One of the huge problems with autism (as I'm sure everyone knows - for those at the higher functioning end anyway) is the low self esteem and anxie that comes with it and the fact he has a degree is something he's now taking pride in.

Lascarina, that's horribly funny! Schools are grim places, when you think about it - the filth that comes off my hands at the end of the day fascinates me, even though I wash them several times throughout the day.

rachelpaula008 and Lascarina like this.